Reverse an outswing?

Old 04-09-17, 12:59 AM
Reverse an outswing?

Can I take a prehung right-hand inswing door and either:

1) Remove it from the frame and install it without the frame as a left-hand outswing door?

OR

2) Reverse it in the frame to make it a left-hand outswing?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-17, 03:13 AM
Group Moderator
If you remove the casing, take a sawzall and cut through the shims, cutting all the nails holding the prehung frame to the rough opening, and simply turn the entire thing around, you will reverse the in swing to outswing, and the hinge from right to left. (When viewed from the original side).

Old 04-09-17, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But your threshold would need to be reversed since it was pointing out to begin with if this is an exterior door.

Old 04-09-17, 03:52 AM
Group Moderator
Right. You should not turn an exterior door around. I assumed this was an interior door.

Old 04-09-17, 04:41 AM
Yes on an interior door. I've reversed the swing on several doors and did not remove the frame. I switched hinges and filled in the other side with wood filler and stained or painted. On most cases you can't see it unless you look very close.

Old 04-09-17, 07:12 AM
It's an exterior fiberglass door. What is the reason it shouldn't be reversed?

Old 04-09-17, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
Like Larry said, look at the sill and threshold. You cannot just turn an inswinging sill and threshold around... they are made to be inswinging, and are not waterproof if you use them as an outswinging door.

If you want to turn it around you would need to do what i said plus cut the o ld sill and threshold out, and modify the jambs to accept a new outswinging threshold, which you would need to buy. Probably easier to get a whole new jamb that is hinged correctly.

You asked the question... believe us when we give you the answer. Go to Google images and type in outswinging threshold. You can't just take the door off the hinges and move it because of the way the stops and weatherstrip and sill all work.

Old 04-09-17, 08:13 AM
It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I need to understand reasons.

Nobody answered the first question so I'm guessing the answer is yes the door can be removed from the casing and mounted in the existing opening?

Old 04-09-17, 08:15 AM
No. You need the case frame

Old 04-09-17, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
You can't just take the door off the hinges and move it because of the way the stops and weatherstrip and sill all work.
?.....................................................

Old 04-09-17, 08:24 AM
May I ask why? .....................

Old 04-09-17, 02:28 PM
OK, I'm going to try again. The doors are the same size. The door opens out. Why can't I just replace the door instead of the whole prehung jamb deal, using my existing jamb, threshold, and stops? As I visualize it, the new door's hinges would be used and I would cut new holes for the deadbolt and latch if necessary. If needed I would install a new threshold or use the one from the prehung door.

BTW, the reason for my problem is I had an exterior aluminum rollup hurricane shutter installed several years ago. It was installed such that the rough opening (outside) is about 1/4" shy of what's needed to insert the prehung jamb setup. Didn't notice at the time. So I'm stuck replacing a door only. The only option for individual doors seem to be wood doors, not what I need.

Old 04-09-17, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
OK, I'm going to try again. The doors are the same size. The door opens out.
You seem to be having a hard time explaining the whole situation clearly. I'm sure you understand what you have and what you want to do. We dont. This is the first we have heard of an existing outswinging door. Reread your first post... no mention of another door. In your first post, you asked about a single door, and how to turn it around.

Your second post led us to believe this single inswinging door that you needed to needed to turn around was an inswinging LH exterior door. That can't be done without all the modifications mentioned.

If you are NOW saying you have an existing outswinging door and just need to change the handing, then yes, all you have to do is mortise new hinges, latch, deadbolt on the opposite side.

Old 04-09-17, 05:45 PM
Well that's not completely accurate but I do see I never distinguished between the existing door and the replacement door. Yes there are two doors and the one in use currently is wood, lefthand outswing. It needs replacement and needs to be lefthand outswing. The fiberglass replacement door I wanted was in the wrong configuration. So at the time it appeared the replacement needed to be made to work in the opposite configuration, whether it was by taking it out of the frame and installing the door only, or by turning it around in the frame (which I now understand thanks to you guys won't work).

Now after searching all day we found a lefthand outswing we like.

So if I understand right, there's no reason I shouldn't take the new door out of its jamb and install it in the existing jamb. Right?

Another point i was trying to get at is the replacement will be fiberglass. Will I be able to route mortises if they need adjustment?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-09-17, 05:54 PM
So if I understand right, there's no reason I shouldn't take the new door out of its jamb and install it in the existing jamb
Yes, if the door is the same size, not only in height and width, but in thickness as well. Many exterior doors will have "through" mortises that will accept hinges from either direction.

removed from the casing and mounted in the existing opening
This is what was confusing. Taking the door from the casing (as if the casing was removed as well) and installing the door in the opening, sans the casing. Remember, we don't know what you are trying to do in completeness, so we are winging it.

Glad you found a door with the correct swing that will uncomlicate the installation.

Old 04-09-17, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In the time it took to write all this, I could have replaced the whole door - frame, jamb, threshold and added new casing and brick molding, caulked and painted.

If your door comes with brick molding already installed, remove it so you have no obstacles to the install. The exterior obstacle that is in the way is no longer a factor as you can install from either the outside or the inside. I almost always order my doors with the brick molding loose and separate so it is not in the way. Too many use the brick molding as the main nailing surface which is wrong in my opinion.

If you still have questions, perhaps a picture of what you have would help you define your situation better.

Search this Thread