Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Full window replacement in bathroom rip-out, how should I proceed?

NY

04-22-17, 01:38 PM   #1  
Full window replacement in bathroom rip-out, how should I proceed?

Hi all. I am about to begin a full bathroom rip-out (posted up the project just before awaiting approval).

First thing I think I should do is replace the window. Since I am doing a full rip out I have the "luxury" of accessing the window frame completely. See photo.

My question is, should I pull off the mouldings and some sheetrock around the window to check out the situation? So if the window frame has some rot just go full replacement, or if not consider a good pocket replacement? I really want to do a full window replacement, but not sure how this will affect my outside materials: large asbestos shingles. Will I need to cut back shingles?

Would really appreciate some thoughts on how to get this job going!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

NY

04-22-17, 01:49 PM   #2  
Window close up photos

Better photos attached. Thanks!

Attached Images

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-22-17, 02:30 PM   #3  
Welcome to the forums! With the type trim on the exterior you can go with a new flange window. Remove the storm, and side and top molding. Leave the sill.....ouch, I just saw the dent. Remove the sill nosing. Then you can cut the window from the opening using a recriprocating saw around the perimeter to get to the nails/screws holding it in. A flange window (new construction) will have a flange on all 4 sides. Take a utility knife, score the bottom flange and remove it. Then you can install the window using your original framing. Be sure to measure from the rough opening, not the window frame as it will all come out.

NY

04-22-17, 06:20 PM   #4  
Is it possible to measure before cutting so that I can pre-order the window?

This sounds very awesome! That exterior trim is aluminum I suppose, seems kind of soft. I'm pretty handy, have done a bunch of work, but pardon my lack of knowledge on this. By "nose" you mean this aluminum covering trim?

One question though is, it would be great to be able to order the replacement window and have it on hand so I can cut out the old and put in the new. Can I measure the rough opening frame on the interior? or is there a good accurate way to do it from the exterior?

And you must be assuming that I remove the old sashes inside before cutting the window frame?

Again, apologies for my ignorance - I'm just real slow about jumping in before I go for it; I have to know exactly what I'm doing!

NY

04-23-17, 02:03 AM   #5  
Clarification on where exactly to cut out old window

Thanks again for your post Chandler!
I just want to clarify that, when you say cutting into the old frame, am I cutting between the RO and the window frame to try and hit the nails, or am I cutting perpendicular through the old window frame, to cut it in pieces to remove it?

Being my first time doing this it's just all totally new, so I have to ask these questions. Thanks,

GA

04-23-17, 04:16 AM   #6  
Remove your interior trim molding. That will expose your framing. Measure across the top and bottom to get a good measurement for width. Then measure top to bottom in two places, right and left to get a good height. Measuring from the framing will give you the rough opening, or RO. Measuring from the outside of your existing frame will give you the exact frame size you need. Keep in mind all the windows in the box stores were ordered by their buyer for "standard" sizes. There are NO standard sizes. No window is made until an order is placed with the manufacturer, so having your measurements and using a reputable manufacturer's outlet will ensure you get the right window. It may take two weeks or more for your windows to arrive, but they will be the right size.

NY

04-23-17, 02:20 PM   #7  
rock n roll

Awesome thanks so much! Looking forward to getting it going.

NY

04-24-17, 10:53 AM   #8  
Sill is rotted?

Looks like my sill is rotted. Help! Any tips on how best to replace it? Thanks.

GA

04-24-17, 01:57 PM   #9  
Is the entire sill rotted, or just the nose? The nose is a replaceable part. Of course, the entire sill won't require a degree or anything. It is pretty straight forward. Post a picture so we can see it, too.

Search this Thread