Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need Rufson 16'x7' 21" 1 3/8" wood Garage door panel

MA

04-26-17, 12:29 PM   #1  
Need Rufson 16'x7' 21" 1 3/8" wood Garage door panel

I have a dented bottom garage door panel. Nobody around Boylston MA has, or can get, a replacement panel. Everybody I've spoken with wants to replace the entire door which is $$$. Either an available panel or any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-26-17, 01:27 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

How bad of a dent is it? is the door still operational? pics could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MA

04-27-17, 06:56 AM   #3  
Notes and pictures

The garage door is fully operational. The damage occurred a number of years ago. I screwed down the wooden laminate that had popped up but now it is breaking away from the screws (see pictures). The wooden laminate is vertically cracked/broken in one spot. Also the lower right corner wooden laminate has come loose probably due to mice who like to live in the garage. I believe that I'd have to replace the whole panel but can find one available, either new or used.
Name:  door01.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  27.4 KB
Name:  door02.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  45.2 KB
Name:  door03.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  33.4 KB
Name:  door04.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  37.0 KB

MA

04-27-17, 06:59 AM   #4  
Correction

that should have been "canNOT find one available"

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-27-17, 09:52 AM   #5  
I'm not sure that type of door is even available anymore. I'd bet it's been 20 yrs or more since I painted a new garage door of that type. I'd bite the bullet and install a steel garage door.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MA

04-27-17, 12:59 PM   #6  
Marksr: I'm sure you're right but I'm not ready to bite the bullet yet. It might cost me a couple hundred to replace the panel versus ~$1300 to replace the whole door with steel. I'm going to keep looking for a bit. I've had one suggestion to only replace the bottom panel with a steel panel, but unfortunately, my Rufson is tongue-and-groove versus "L" so that doesn't work. Since the frame seems in pretty good shape, I've also thought about just replacing the outer surface on that section but haven't looked into it too much yet.

Search this Thread