Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Need Rufson 16'x7' 21" 1 3/8" wood Garage door panel

Need Rufson 16'x7' 21" 1 3/8" wood Garage door panel

Old 04-26-17, 12:29 PM
Unhappy Need Rufson 16'x7' 21" 1 3/8" wood Garage door panel

I have a dented bottom garage door panel. Nobody around Boylston MA has, or can get, a replacement panel. Everybody I've spoken with wants to replace the entire door which is $$$. Either an available panel or any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-17, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

How bad of a dent is it? is the door still operational? pics could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-27-17, 06:56 AM
Notes and pictures

The garage door is fully operational. The damage occurred a number of years ago. I screwed down the wooden laminate that had popped up but now it is breaking away from the screws (see pictures). The wooden laminate is vertically cracked/broken in one spot. Also the lower right corner wooden laminate has come loose probably due to mice who like to live in the garage. I believe that I'd have to replace the whole panel but can find one available, either new or used.
Name:  door01.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  27.4 KB
Name:  door02.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  45.2 KB
Name:  door03.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  33.4 KB
Name:  door04.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  37.0 KB

Old 04-27-17, 06:59 AM
Correction

that should have been "canNOT find one available"

Old 04-27-17, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure that type of door is even available anymore. I'd bet it's been 20 yrs or more since I painted a new garage door of that type. I'd bite the bullet and install a steel garage door.

Old 04-27-17, 12:59 PM
Marksr: I'm sure you're right but I'm not ready to bite the bullet yet. It might cost me a couple hundred to replace the panel versus ~$1300 to replace the whole door with steel. I'm going to keep looking for a bit. I've had one suggestion to only replace the bottom panel with a steel panel, but unfortunately, my Rufson is tongue-and-groove versus "L" so that doesn't work. Since the frame seems in pretty good shape, I've also thought about just replacing the outer surface on that section but haven't looked into it too much yet.