Flaw in new Brick Moulding for Exterior Door

Old 05-08-17, 11:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flaw in new Brick Moulding for Exterior Door

I just had new brick moulding put in and noticed there is a gap in the upper right hand corner of the mitered joint. The gap, or hole, is about 1/4", the width of the brick moulding is the typical 2". Can that gap be fixed? The moulding will be painted. It is an exterior door, and the moulding is pine. Name:  Brick Mould Resized.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  43.4 KB

Old 05-09-17, 02:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If a contractor left that then I'd sure bring it to his attention, looks like something was cut horizontal.

If painted you could simply caulk but I'd go for something a little more permanent like a wood filler to patch then prime an paint.

Old 05-09-17, 02:29 AM
C
I didn't notice the hole until a day after the contractor left. I did see he ran a saw across the top of the door, but didn't give it much thought. Not real happy he left that as he did. He should take it apart and replace it.

Old 05-09-17, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
He cut his angle too short hoping to get by. Have him replace it.

Old 05-09-17, 03:29 AM
C
I'm going to ask him to, we'll see what he says. Can just the piece that has the cut in it be replaced or does the whole moulding have to be replaced?

Old 05-09-17, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Only that piece would need to be replaced. Not ideal but I've used painter's putty to make more than one mistake like that disappear.

Old 05-11-17, 07:06 AM
C
What wood filler would you recommend? I did call the contractor and he came by with some mini-wax wood putty, which according to online reviews doesn't harden and is useless. I insisted the contractor properly replace the damaged moulding, he more or less agreed to do that, but hasn't followed through, and I doubt I'll hear from him again, so i'd at least like to try using wood putty if there is a good product out there.

Old 05-11-17, 08:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
MinWax wood putty should do fine although most any painter's putty will work. Once you've put it in place and it's had time to 'glaze' over you'd prime and paint it. All painter's putty including MinWax are intended to have poly or paint applied over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: