Sash lift repair

Old 06-12-17, 06:33 AM
Sash lift repair

I have some wood windows that have plastic guides and I don't know what type of lifting design and infrastructure it is that needs repair. They were manufactured in 1998 and installed in our crappy Pulte built home.

Question: How do I disassemble these windows to get to the lifting technology to repair it?

Name:  IMG_4362.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4359.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4358.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4360.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  24.1 KB

Last edited by royaldiadem; 06-12-17 at 06:35 AM. Reason: pics
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-17, 07:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure there is a lift mechanism other than friction. Some windows like you have are removed by taking the whole sash and forcing it to the right or left. The tracks that guide it have springs behind them and will compress enough to remove the sash. If yours is sticking it looks to be that there is friction and rubbing on the left hand side. Looking at your last picture there appears to be rubbing marks on the guide. Rubbing a bar of hand soap on the track may make it operate a little smoother.

Old 06-12-17, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Those sash packs that are shaped like that generally have springs on the sides behind those plastic guides. If you open the sash and look on the bottom, you can generally see 2 tabs connected to the spring. There is no adjustment to them and I have never seen one break.

So I think it would be pointless to disassemble them... and actually you would likely make things worse if you tried.

The interior wood stop has to come off, the fasteners come off the top and bottom of each side track, the parting stop comes out of the top, the sashes get moved toward the center, then sashes jambs and all tip into the interior top first. You hang onto the sides because they want to spring off like rockets. Having never done it before, you would have difficulty putting them back in.

A similar style has a string / spring pack screwed to the top jamb. (Instead of side springs only) Sometimes they break or rust up, but finding those parts might be tough.

More often than not an overzealous painter got paint on the sides of the sashes (which usually say no paint) which makes them hard to slide.