Advice on window install

Old 06-14-17, 10:45 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on window install

We live in a 1929 1-1/2 story Tudor with Stucco (in Minnesota), I recently added a ¾ bath to the upper level.
Both windows on either end will need to be replaced and at this time neither of these windows satisfy/meets egress requirements. So I am planning on replacing the rear window first, this is the best window
to satisfy the egress requirement. As I examine the rough opening I should be able to fit something similar in size to an Anderson CW135, I actually have close to an additional 5 in above the window to the header. If I stick a hacksaw blade in alongside the window I get a 4-1/4 in with ½ in sheetrock
on the inside. So am I correct in assuming that the wall is only a 2 x 4 with paper, lathe and stucco only and no exterior sheathing? So I have a couple thoughts on how to finish this window on the outside, I can
maybe add a ‘3-1/2 to 4 in frame’ of some sort around the new casement to match the rest of the windows around the house
and seal that up with caulk around the window and where it will but up to the stucco. Or I could just break away enough stucco to install the new window and then have someone come and stucco around the window.
All of my windows right now are wrapped with aluminum, which I don't like but it is what it is. I installed a new egress in the basement bedroom
and the guy did a nice job of adding wrapping to that window so that is something I could do also.
I know that working with stucco can be a pain because you don’t want to break the paper, but would
that be an issue if I secured a frame around the window then just sealed up the sides and properly flashed the top?

Old 06-17-17, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 905 Votes on 831 Posts
That sounds correct, but you would want to remove interior trim and check the rough opening in a few spots. (Or pop off exterior trim if you have any) If your new window fin sits inside the edges of the stucco you should be able to fill the void with trim, seal edges with a good polyurethane caulk. (Don't know if you have table saw etc to do that) You could clad with aluminum trim coil if you want. (Would probably need to hire it done if you don't have access to a brake) If you know a good stucco guy that's an option but really that's only necessary if you want your window trim to be one standard size on the entire house... or if you don't want trim at all.

So I guess if you want to try to do it all yourself, I would say filling in with exterior trim, caulking and painting would be your best option. Stucco guys don't always get the texture right, and really, they should carefully hammer a larger perimeter (rough random edge) out around their patch... while preserving the paper and wire lath, and add new paper and wire lath as needed. The you'd need to caulk the repaired stucco to the window after it has had time to cure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: