Storm Door Deadbolt Won't Open

Old 06-24-17, 08:32 AM
Storm Door Deadbolt Won't Open

When I went to open the storm door on my front door the other day, the deadbolt turns to the left, but doesn't move enough to clear the lip of the door frame that the bolt latches behind, and so it won't allow the door to open.

I took apart the handle assembly, sprayed WD-40 in any openings, then used a flat-head screwdriver to try and open the deadbolt all the way, but it is still in that same place, not retracting totally into the storm door. When I turn it to the right (locking the deadbolt), it only turns about an 1/8th of a turn before the bolt extends all the way open and into the side of the door frame.

(Sorry, I tried uploading small pictures (80kb) and it says that it exceeds the forum quota)

Any ideas? I'm about to try and remove the hinges to see if I can at least get it open. Is it recommended/possible to just replace the deadbolt mechanism, or better just get a new storm door?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-17, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
There's a temporary problem with uploading pics which should be fixed next week. In the meantime, maybe you could upload them to a pic hosting site and post the link here?

Old 06-24-17, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Removing the hinge wont help since it has screws that arent accessible until you open the door. Take off the latch side instead.

Old 06-24-17, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most handle assy are replaceable but without door brand or picture no idea.

Old 06-24-17, 11:16 AM
You're right, I went to go remove the hinges, and they're inside the door frame. What exactly do you mean "take off the latch side instead?"

Here are the pictures, uploaded from a hosting site:

Here's the deadbolt as far open as I can get it, still catching the lip of the door frame:

Here's the deadbolt closed, only getting about 1/8 of a turn between this and the picture above:

Old 06-24-17, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Remove the screws that hold the latch side z-bar and pull the door open.

Old 07-09-17, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I have been out of town on vacation for a week or so. I went to try and remove the latch side Z bar (or at least what I think is the Z bar?), and I don't see how I'm supposed to do this. It looks like the screws that hold it in are near the bolt/latch (see picture below) so I'm not sure how to remove it.

Is this the Z bar?
Name:  IMG_0711.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  22.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0714.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  16.1 KB

Here's where I see screws going into the frame (4x):
Name:  IMG_0713.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  16.3 KB

Here's the door from the front porch:
Name:  IMG_0710.JPG
Views: 445
Size:  37.3 KB

Once we get it open, is it best just to replace fully, or can the deadbolt assembly be replaced individually?

Old 07-09-17, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Pull off the vinyl cap that covers the screws. You are poking it with the screwdriver in your first photo. Then remove the screws and pull the door open. I don't think those screws you can see behind the latch are long enough to matter. At any rate, you should be able to pull the door open if you remove the exterior screws on the latch side.