Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Use stud finder to find the header and sill plate of existing shimmed window?

Old 06-26-17, 12:33 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am replacing old wooden single hung windows in my home. The problem is, I have already replaced a few and have noticed that these old windows have been shimmed so that the rough openings are actually larger than the actual window opening. I want to find out the dimensions of this rough opening without breaking the walls open. I know I can use a stud finder to detect where the vertical framing members are, but my question is: Is it possible to use a stud finder to find where the horizontal members (ie header and sill plate) are?

Old 06-26-17, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Re: using a studfinder... Only if you remove all the interior trim, and only if you have drywall. They don't work well through lathe and plaster. And if you take the interior trim off, it's not too hard to poke around and find the rough opening... you may need to cut back some drywall or plaster to do it.

Old 06-26-17, 02:16 PM
A
No way to do it without cutting the walls? I dont want to have to cut the walls to find the rough opening measurments, then leave it like that for a couple days while I go get the necessary materials.

Old 06-26-17, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
if you take the interior trim off, it's not too hard to poke around and find the rough opening.
?..........................................................

Old 06-26-17, 04:34 PM
I use a small drill bit to find the edges of studs no matter what stud finder I'm using.
A drywall saw also works if you can plunge it a little outside where you think the edge is and be sure there are no cables in the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: