Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Are 60-minute fire-rated doors common?

VA

06-29-17, 12:28 PM   #1  
Are 60-minute fire-rated doors common?

My builder put a note on my garage plans that states I will be using a 60-minute fire-rated door. However, code states a minimum of 20-minutes will suffice. Most of the doors I am finding at the big box stores are 20 minute, so I'd prefer to go with a 20-minute door. I don't want to special order or pay more for a 60 minute door if I don't need to. Is there really much cost difference between the two? If my approved plans have a note saying 60 minute, am I held to that even though code specifies 20 minute will suffice?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

06-29-17, 05:39 PM   #2  
Yes there is that much of a difference but you shouldn't need a 60min. That's normally commercial I believe. They cost so much more because they don't just have metal skins and foam fill. Normally it's like a thick layer of sheetrock IIRC. For some reason I thought to get a true 60 min, it had to have a metal frame as well.

Normally a visit to the Codes office will clear it right up. They'll annotate and restamp. Happened with me that way anyway.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread