Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Looking for Sliding Glass Door that Fully Opens

Old 06-29-17, 01:35 PM

Is there a manufacturer that makes a sliding glass door that opens fully? Meaning the sliding door doesn't stop short because of the handle? Or is there a way to modify a regular door/door handle on a slider so that it opens fully? For example, a low profile recessed pocket handle on the outside. Reason being is I only have enough width to fit a 60" wide slider, and I want it to open as much as possible because it is pretty narrow. I feel like it could open 6 more inches if the handle wasn't in the way.

I suppose I could go with french doors. Surprisingly, the Jeld Wen french door I am looking at is about $130 less expensive ($834) than the Jeld Wen slider I'm viewing. However, the french door is only primed, so I'd have to paint it, but no biggie.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-17, 01:39 PM
I measured the opening on my existing 60" slider and it is only 23-3/4". I think I'll go with a french door, which I imagine should give me about a 4" or 5" more.

Old 07-02-17, 04:10 AM
Can you take off the handle of the slider? If that helps you can improvise another "handle" to open and close the door. Personally I prefer a slider vs a French door. Little better security and weather proof.