Water coming in from bottom of Window

Old 07-23-17, 01:59 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water coming in from bottom of Window

Hey all, I noticed some water pooling on the inside window sill of my kids second story window. I figured it was the weep holes that needed cleaning so I got on the ladder and cleaned them out. Here are my questions:

1. It just rained and I noticed that the water is actually coming in through the seem where the inside glass touches the handle ledge that alows you to open the window (see picture). Can i just put some clear caulk on this seem as well as on the other side to prevent this? It appears as though there is a rubber gasket on the outside glass that may be letting water in?

2. I also noticed that even after it is done raining, water just pools in the far corner of the wondow below the track (see 2nd pic). When I poored water in the track to test it after I cleaned the weep holes i noticed it all ran to this direction so maybe it is just holding here until enough gathers to exit the weep hole?

3. Lastly, when i was cleaning the weeps i pulled a large piece of "foam'ish" black material out of the weep. I am guess it is there to keep bugs out (didnt really help as it was loaded with dead lady bugs). Can i just keep this out or should I replace it?

Thanks. Name:  IMG_4835.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4836.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  24.9 KB

Old 07-23-17, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 856 Votes on 784 Posts
Angry

1. In your first picture, when water enters at that point it is because the glazing on the exterior side of the glass has failed. (And judging from the picture, your IGU is pretty baked, since the spacer looks to have cracked from age/heat/expansion/contraction) Apart from removing, replacing and/or reglazing the glass, wet glazing (caulking) the exterior perimeter of the glass (not the interior) is the only solution to your leak. You would only use 100% silicone, not plain clear caulk, and not siliconized latex. Dow 795 or similar is best.

2. Water that gets to that point does not drain out instantly and it will not be dry 5 minutes or even a day after it gets wet. What you are seeing is normal and doesn't affect anything. That water that is in the main frame of the window cannot leak into the house. If it runs to one side it's either because the window isn't level or there is dirt that isn't allowing the water to spread out evenly or make it to the other weep hole.

3. Yes, you should clean and replace the black filter. It slows air, snow and keeps bugs out. I suppose it would also prevent bugs from getting out if they are on the inside of the window.

PS, I don't know why it put a frowning face on my reply... I didn't do that unless i bumped it unintentionally.

Old 07-23-17, 03:16 PM
D
Thanks X...i was also going to ask what that cracked gasket looking thing between the glass was (didnt know what IGU was)--can that be replaced or would i be looking at a new window at that point?

I will try caulking the exterior of the window where the glass meets the vinly casing with what you suggested.

Appreciate the help!

Old 07-23-17, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Generally if the seal on a double pane IGU fails, you will notice a fog, or moisture between the two panes. If there is no fog, then the cracks are largely cosmetic at this point. But yes, if you ever need to, the glass can be replaced. IGU's are custom size and thickness... any commercial or city glass house can make them for you once you know the exact measurements. Its easiest to take them the sash if you aren't confident in your abilities. But it can take a week or two to get them back.

The reason your window is letting water in at the lift rail is that the perimeter of the glass is no longer 100% glued to the exterior side of the sash. Usually 2 faced tape is used between the outer glass and the sash... when it degrades water simply migrates from the outside around and under the glass edge until it leaks in.

Old 07-23-17, 03:36 PM
D
There is no fog or moisture so i assume it it just cosmetic. Will go with the caulking and hopefully that helps. Should I bother smoothing the caulk with my finger or just put a bead on? I want a tight seal but dont want smuges all over.

Thanks again!

Old 07-23-17, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Best trick I know is to cut a fine tip at about a 15 degree angle. Clean the perimeter with a rag and denatured alcohol first, then let it dry. Try to apply the silicone as neatly as possible... with one smooth movement, no starting and stopping or pumping with your hand. Keep the tip of the tube clean... stop after each side to wipe it off. Do all 4 sides as neatly as possible, getting it half on the glass, half on the vinyl. If it looks good, you're done.

If you made a mess and need to tool it, put some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and liberally spray the perimeter. Then use a finger to tool the bead smooth, and have paper towels handy for your fingers. The rubbing alcohol is like magic, the silicone won't stick to anything that's wet with the rubbing alcohol.

Then wait at least 24 hours for the silicone to cure before you wash the glass.

Old 07-23-17, 07:35 PM
D
Excellent, thanks for the tips!

Old 07-24-17, 07:35 AM
D
How do i remove this window sash? I watched some youtube videos and it seemed simple enough. I released the top part of the sash and tilted it level with ground and then try to left it up but it looks locked it--there is no open shoe to lift it out of. Here is a pic:

Name:  IMG_4853.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  23.7 KB

Old 07-24-17, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Its a little tricky. Tip the window down 90 degrees like you are going to wash it. Then lean over and grasp the sash on both sides near the pivots.

I find its easiest to keep the left side stationary and pull up on the right side. There will be some resistance but it will slide up if you tug on it. After you raise one side two or three inches higher than the other, you will free up the pivot and it will come out of the shoe.

Installation is the reverse. You can either pull up on the left side or pound the right side back down with your fist.

But why cant you just go outside and caulk it instead of taking out the sash?

Old 07-24-17, 12:30 PM
D
I was going to go outside and do it but I wanted to learn how the sash comes out and figured i would do it that way. --However, i am unable to remove the screen! I pulled down on the locking pins but it does not move back and there does not appear to be enough clearance for it to come out so i had to caulk with the me holding the sash up with my legs while caulking. Job done, looks good. But the screen is still stuck.

I have taken screens out before at my old house but this one is perhaps jammed...or am i missing something?

Name:  IMG_4855.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  50.3 KB

Old 07-24-17, 12:35 PM
D
I was going to go outside and do it but I wanted to learn how the sash comes out and figured i would do it that way. --However, i am unable to remove the screen! I pulled down on the locking pins but it does not move back and there does not appear to be enough clearance for it to come out so i had to caulk with the me holding the sash up with my legs while caulking. Job done, looks good. But the screen is still stuck.

I have taken screens out before at my old house but this one is perhaps jammed...or am i missing something?

Here is a pic: note sure why they keep going sideways:

Name:  IMG_4855.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  50.3 KB

Old 07-24-17, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Well I know those pins can corrode, and they also like to pull apart. Some screens will have compression springs on the opposite side and you kind of have to pull on the pin with one hand and compress the spring on the opposite side with the other.

Old 07-24-17, 02:16 PM
D
I only see the two pins at the top. I pull down on them and they move but the screen doesnt get below the lip and therefore it doesnt slide forward to remove. I also tried moving it out and it felt like I was going to break it. Perhaps it is just a really tight fit that settled even tighter over time.

Old 07-24-17, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, it's a tight fit, that's for sure. I was confused by the orientation of your picture... didnt know which side was up.

On yours, there are no springs... you pull the pins... the top should come toward you. You could try spraying the top edge and sides of the screen with silicone spray. Also push down on the bottom (middle) of the screen as you pull on the pins, if the window sill is bowed up any, it will make the screen real tight. Usually you have to pull one pin and use the pin to pull that corner of the screen and get it started moving then switch to the other pin and get that corner started... once you have moved both a little then grasp both pins, pull them down and pull the screen in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: