Exterior door needs work for new hardware

Old 08-04-17, 12:03 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior door needs work for new hardware

We have an original exterior door to our 1930 home that we want to refurbish and replace the handle and lock with a new one purchased off the shelf. The original door mortise cavity isn't shaped for a new door handle. See photos. We are planning on painting the door, so any unneeded cavity can be filled in. However, I don't know how to proceed. I have viewed a few YouTube videos so have a pretty good idea of what I need to do in terms of drilling a new cavity for the new door handle. But I need some advice on how to approach filling in the old cavity, what materials to use. I presume that filling in the old cavity would be the first step prior to drilling out a new cavity. Please advise.

Attached Images     
Old 08-05-17, 08:49 AM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
Once the face of the doors sanded flat I'd remove the door, laying it flat, covering up any holes on the end of the door and the back side with pieces of wood attached with finish nails, with wax paper between the blocking and the door, then using this to pore into the large hole to fill all voids.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rock-Hard...&wl13=&veh=sem
If you replace it with this style most of the flaws will be covered up.
Handlesets | Single Cylinder

Old 08-05-17, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
The mortise where the latch has to fit is probably the critical area that needs to be filled. Your knob will be a 2 1/8" hole that is centered either 2 3/8 or 2 3/4" back from the edge. So you can measure to see what will be covered and what wont. Like joe said, the style of new handle will have a lot to do with it.

Old 08-06-17, 09:01 AM
J
I'd cut plugs and patches from the same species of wood that the door is made of. Insert the plugs and patches with the grain running in the same direction as the door's grain. Use an exterior grade wood glue.

Old 08-06-17, 03:48 PM
K
Thanks and one more question

Thanks for the tips. Yes, the new handleset that I am using is going to cover most of the cavity, but not all. I purchased the Milwaukee brand kit to bore the deadbolt and door handle holes; however, the instructions call for using the hole bit to drill the 2 1/8" hole about halfway through the door until the drill bit pierces the other side of the door. Then back out the hole bit and go to the other side of the door to bore the hole from the other side. To do this, use the hole that the drill bit pierced as your guide; however, in this case I won't have a hole to use as a guide because the hole already has a cavity in it, if that makes sense. In other words, the 2 1/8" hole that I am drilling is larger than an existing hole/cavity, so the actual drill bit is drilling into air. The hole bit is drilling into wood. (See attached photo) So to drill on the other side, should I take the Milwaukee guide and turn it around in a mirror image to drilling on the first side? Are there any other tricks that I can use? I'm a bit hesitant to remove the Milwaukee guide once it's clamped on the door because I might not get the exact mirror placement on the second side. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Attached Images  
Old 08-06-17, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
All you do is clamp (quik clamps) a solid board onto each side of the door and drill into it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: