apartment door won't close right

Old 08-05-17, 04:32 AM
apartment door won't close right

Hello,

I'm recently having a lot of trouble closing the door to my apartment. I can close it, but it doesn't "connect" with the locking mechanism on the frame unless I really force the issue by shutting it extremely forcefully.

As you can see from this pictures, the door narrows on the right:

https://*******/d8Vtga

Other pictures that show the door:

https://*******/hZ0R1a
https://*******/jjDPnF
https://*******/iE8qSF
https://*******/iW6MZv
https://*******/eCroEv
https://*******/eDT1Zv

If anyone has an idea of what I can try (I've only checked if screws are fastened) I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-17, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like it's binding at the bottom below the hinge. If that is the issue unless the jamb is loose and can be pushed/nailed back in you'd need to plane that portion of the door - only with the landlord's permission!

Old 08-05-17, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
It looks kind of tight on the top of the door, left side. Is it rubbing up there at all? The tightness on the left side is pretty normal to see toward the bottom.

Apartment = rental and we dont usually recommend repairs over contacting the landlord or maintenance personnel.

Old 08-05-17, 04:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it an illusion or does that floor slope towards the toilet? The door is not plumb for one reason or the other.

Old 08-05-17, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the replies -- Sorry English isn't my first language - but I own this place, it's not a rental. I've taken another picture of the top - left side. It's as if it doesn't close all the way.

2017 08 05 12 00 10 €” imgbb.com
2017 08 05 12 01 56 €” imgbb.com
2017 08 05 12 02 08 €” imgbb.com

I'm not sure if the floor slopes towards the toilet, but I had the floors leveled with concrete floor sealer before setting the laminate flooring six months ago so I wouldn't think so.

Old 08-05-17, 05:08 AM
Check all frame and door parts to see which are plumb and which are not. This will give you and idea of where to make adjustments. Is this situation new? Anything else in the apartment seem to have gone out of square? How old is the building?

Old 08-05-17, 05:12 AM
I'm not sure if the floor slopes towards the toilet,
Check everything with a level, the floor & all sides of the door & frame

Old 08-05-17, 05:14 AM
The building is from 1975. This started happening a month ago. Actually I'm having similar problems with the bathroom door but, no other problems. It's a concrete apartment building, three stories, I'm on the ground.

When you say check to see if they are plumb, what exactly does that mean?

Old 08-05-17, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Couple observations:

-You have a tiled floor and there is no threashold under the door. It appears that the door at some time was cut down to clear the tile which explains the odd slope on the bottom of the door inconsistent with the other ways the door is setting in the frame.

-The strike plate has been adjusted at sometime in the past to move it closer to the inside of the room. The screws in the strike plate are not original as they are round head and should be flat head. This would explain why the top left of the door sets off the door stop and proud of the frame.

If the latch and strike plate line up and the latch is not hitting too high and missing the strike plate openings then a further resetting of the strike plate toward the room would make the door easier to close without having to slam it.

Old 08-05-17, 05:22 AM
The word "plumb" is used in English to mean level when you are talking about up & down. In Spanish it would be "nivel". In Italian "livello" In other words, the bubble should be in the middle.

Old 08-05-17, 05:30 AM
A horizontal surface, such as a floor, is checked to see if it is level. If it is sloped then it is not level. A vertical surface, such as a wall or in your case a door frame or door, is checked to see if it is plumb. If it is tilted then it is not plumb.
Because your door no longer latches properly something has gone out of plumb.

Old 08-05-17, 05:33 AM
Ok, thank you ShortyLong.

czizzi - you are right - I moved in six months ago. Because the floor was so elevated the carpenter had to cut down from under the door. It's still so close to the ground that I can't even have fit a doormat. After inspecting the parts closer - the strike plate is actually a little bit loose. Not sure if that would be the cause of my problem or I suspect that it's just the symptom of me slamming the door excessively. In any case I'll replace it then find a leveler. I will call a carpenter if there are no "easy fixes" or tries. I thought I'd ask because if you google or youtube this issue, you will find advise like "place a penny in the hinge assembly".

Old 08-05-17, 05:43 AM
For a quick fix you can move the strike plate a little or use a metal file to file it down a little so the door latch won't hit it. If you move the strike plate a little you may have to fill the screw holes and re-drill them. Wood toothpicks and wood glue are a quick screw hole filler.

Old 08-05-17, 07:05 AM
Ty. I replaced the screws to the strike plate and fastened it properly, and it seems to have fixed the problem, at least to the point where I can shut the door with normal force. Although, if I close it without the lock on, it wont connect properly with the strike plate. So for the door to close properly, the lock needs to be on.

Old 08-05-17, 07:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Still sounds like minor adjustments to the strike plate may alleviate your situation completely. Get down to eye level with the door slightly ajar and look at where the latch and lock hit relative to the holes in the strike plate. Sounds like the lock is engaging but the door latch is not. Is it off hitting on the high side of the openings or the low side. The markings on the strike plate seem to indicate that it is riding toward the top of the strike plate.

Old 10-18-17, 11:12 AM
I had the same problem as @ czizzi and JIMMIEMadvice help to fix that! Thank you so much!