Exterior door: glass/iron inserts rattle.

Old 08-07-17, 01:38 PM
Exterior door: glass/iron inserts rattle.

Our door has 3/4 glass with iron inserts. When we close the door shut the glass and iron rattles. The 2 sidelites are fine. Is there a way to tighten the glass or somehow cushion the glass so it does not rattle? The door is fiberglass and is heavy...not light. but the noise makes it feel cheap. Any suggestions?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-17, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try to rattle the iron by hand. Determine where it's loose. Maybe a bead of adhesive might help.

Old 08-07-17, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
I assume those are between the glass?

Old 08-07-17, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
The glass should not rattle. If it does it means either the adhesive wasn't adhered to the door well initially or it has dried out (which I have never seen happen) and pulled away. That would mean water could leak in the door also. I assume the pic was just a stock photo or before the door was installed.

No simple fix really...well, it's simple, but can be intimidating. 2 person job...the glass is very heavy as it's actually 3 layers. Tempered/annealed exterior, decorative, tempered/annealed interior with a metal strip and a rubber like sealant around the perimeter. You'll need to carefully remove the plastic frame and glass insert. Normally there are screws (sometimes covered by plugs) on the interior frame. Sometimes the frames actually snap together and those I don't know much about. Make sure the screwdriver or bit is a good fit in the screws, if you strip it you'll have to drill off the head and remove the shank with pliers.

While taking screws out 1 person holds the exterior glass/frame in place, then after complete removal of the inner frame, you may need to use a putty knife around the exterior frame to break it completely free. Take out glass and frame, clean off all old adhesive/tape, attach glass to frame with new glazing tape, put a bead of adhesive sealant on frame and reverse operation to re-install. The tape and sealant should be available at a glass shop or online.

If you know the manufacturer and the door isn't too old, it may be under warranty. You might also see what a door shop or glass shop would charge. You break it, you bought it, and that insert (if you can find a new one) would probably run $500 or so as a replacement.

Btw...though they look like wrought iron, most likely the caming (metal curlys around the deco glass) is brass, colored black or dark grey.

Old 08-23-17, 12:55 PM
Yes, between the glass. Any way to tighten it? The molding have those screw covers...if we remove them and tighten it will that help?

Old 08-23-17, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
If they are sealed between the 2 panes of glass, there is nothing you can do, since the glass is sealed togther as a unit. You are probably hearing them rattle as they deflect and hit the glass on either side.

About all you could do is complain to the mfg. I would think they would have put rubber bumpers on the decorative iron here and there to help stabilize it between the glass.

Old 08-23-17, 01:02 PM
yes, the glass molding has those screw plugs...if we tighten those will that help? I can take the door back and they will replace but my contractor said one thing is that every door has slight difference on the hinges. The new new door could be off from my old door and than what do we do? He does not want to play around with the hinges and or the jambs. So, I was trying to avoid taking it off the hinges and taking it back to the warehouse...it's about 1 house drive.

Old 08-23-17, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
Like I said, nothing you can do. The screws and plugs are what hold the IGU between the 2 halves of the frame. It has nothing to do with tightening those screws.

A new piece of glass or even a new door will likely do exactly the same thing as they are mass produced in identical fashion. A new door from the same mfg would fit the hinge mortises perfectly. But like I said it probably won't help. Or it may help for a while... but slam the door a few times and I bet you will be right back where you started.

Old 08-23-17, 01:17 PM
Okay thanks. I might try and see if we can use clear silicone/caulk and get a 'tight' fit. Maybe that might make it a bit of soundproofing.

Old 08-23-17, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
What exactly are you planning on caulking? You said the iron inserts are between the glass. If they are between the glass, they are SEALED IN, (inside the IGU, or insulating glass unit) and you cannot access them. Removing the screws in the frame will not give you access to the iron inserts (they are likely colored aluminum) because you cannot separate the 2 panes of glass from one another, as they are sealed together. Removing the screws is how you remove the entire IGU, which is of no help. That is why I keep saying "there is nothing you can do". Sorry if that's not good news and is not what you wanted to hear.