Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Marble Window stool/sill stuck in place

08-27-17, 05:30 PM   #1  
Marble Window stool/sill stuck in place

Hi,
We have marble window stools which extend into the drywall about a half inch and underneath the window as well. I want to trim out the windows, so I'm trying to remove one of the window stools. I removed the silicone sealer and ran a putty knife completely around the window stool on all sides, ensuring there was no adhesive holding it in place. I then tried everything I could think of to remove it, including holding a block of wood on the bottom of it and hitting it pretty hard with a hammer. It will move up and down slightly, but I cannot get it out.

Has anyone run into this? I've got a dozen or so of these in the house. The front of the house stools seem like traditional marble stools that only go up to the bottom rail of the window, not underneath it. The ones on the back (where I tried to demo the stool) look like they all run under the window, so I'm expecting to encounter the same issue on all our back windows. I want to figure this out before I do any more work to trim these out.

Thanks for any help or tips you can offer!

-Eric

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

08-27-17, 06:02 PM   #2  
They are generally glued down. You will need to remove the drywall above at least one of the sides, then drive a long wonder bar underneath one end in order to pry it up. They will not just slide out without damaging the drywall.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

08-27-17, 07:20 PM   #3  
Do you want to save the marble? If not the marble can be broken into pieces rather easily. I've had to pull out tile from under windows piece by piece with a screwdriver and channel locks, no fun.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-28-17, 02:21 AM   #4  
Marble window stools was the norm in fla when I painted new construction houses in the 80's. They were always installed with several dollops of thinset under them. I don't know much about removing them.

btw - welcome to the forums Eric!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

08-28-17, 06:36 AM   #5  
Thanks for the response, XSleeper. I knew they'd be glued down, so I took a long putty knife and slid it underneath the stool all the way to the back under the window. I was able to slide it all the way from left to right and back, ensuring the glue seal is broken. I was able to get a flathead screwdriver in pretty far on the left and the right as well. I'll try to upload a picture soon. I'm calling this a sill and a stool (not real schooled on terminology) because it doesn't just go up to the base of the window, but goes under it. So it feels like something else is holding it toward the back of the sill, I just can't figure out what.

08-28-17, 09:30 AM   #6  
Here's a picture of the stool

Keep in mind this juts into the drywall about 1 inch on either side. You can see where my demo attempts messed up the wall a bit. I didn't care much about the wall since I'm going to trim it out anyway.

Attached Images

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-28-17, 09:45 AM   #7  
The marble stool is normally installed after the drywall goes up although sometimes before - probably dependent on scheduling. Assuming the window is original to the house it would have been install before the stool.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

08-28-17, 10:36 AM   #8  
Break it with a hammer, pull out the pieces. The window is probably set into a bead of sealant on top of the stool.

Search this Thread