Which Sliding Door to Buy?

Old 09-08-17, 12:36 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which Sliding Door to Buy?

We are replacing sliding doors in the walkout basement. We don't want to go cheap, but don't want to spend too much either. We want them to hold up for 20 or so years and be good quality. We are looking at a custom size Pella 350 vinyl ($1479) and Pella Impervia fiberglass ($2089) from Lowe's. A vinyl Thermastar was $974, but we thought we wanted a step up quality wise. Any thoughts on vinyl vs fiberglass and these particular doors or others?

Old 09-08-17, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm not that familiar with Pella doors. The low and mid range windows seemed to get a lot of complaints in the past. Could be different now. No experience at all with Thermastar, but I'd never put an all vinyl door in my own home. A rental or a flip? Maybe.

My personal favorite is Anderson 200 and 400 series. They stand up well, have lot's of options, and support for advice and repair parts. Matter of fact, I called them once about new panels for a 25 y/o door and they still had them available. I was told by their distribution center that if they no longer had what used to be a stock size, they would custom make parts to fit. I wasn't a customer, but a retailer att. Guess what doors I've installed in my own homes?

Old 09-09-17, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I agree, it's hard to beat the Perma Shield door, tried and true. For about 1100 at home Depot for the standard white door, it's twice the door that the Thermastar is. And I would pick it over the 350 any day. Pella impervia is a good door.

Old 09-09-17, 08:02 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Much!

Thanks for your input. I guess we will go with the Impervia.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: