Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Enlarging basement window

10-01-17, 08:40 AM   #1  
Enlarging basement window

I have several small basement windows (approximately 12L x 8H) I would like to enlarge. I have a walk out basement, therefore no excavation is required, and the walls are composed of cinder blocks.

1. How advanced of a project would this be?
2. Are there any step-by-step guides online you can recommend?
3. Any other tips / considerations I need to make before deciding to do this period, doing it myself, or just hiring someone.

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

PA

10-01-17, 08:52 AM   #2  
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Just so you know, we don't recommend off site guides and such. You can do a google search for that, if you like.

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!
Bring your pets inside in this cold weather! Have some compassion and sense.

10-01-17, 09:25 AM   #3  
You're right, I can Google for a guide, and have, but I have no idea what sources to trust more than others. So I guess I either need to ask a poster for a full step-by-step guide or ask piecemeal questions regarding the process?

Can anyone provide me a high-level overview of what the process entails?

Group Moderator

NE

10-01-17, 10:34 AM   #4  
Without having a few pictures of the wall and framing above the window, it's a little hard to answer. If you want to provide more info, we might be able to help. Specifically we would need to know/see if there is a row of blocks above the existing window or not, which way the joists run, wall finishes inside and out, etc.

Search this Thread