Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replace skylight with custom size or fit larger size to current opening?

10-03-17, 04:53 PM   #1  
Replace skylight with custom size or fit larger size to current opening?

Hey guys I've got some fixed skylights that have hazing/clouding going on and need replacing. These are in my 1989 build townhome and apparently the existing sizes aren't made anymore. I'm amazed at the lack of info out there on this situation, I would think so many other homeowners are in a similar predicament as myself trying to find out the best way to replace skylights with dimensions that aren't supported any longer. Anyways, anyone have a good answer for me on this? Do I find someone to make the same size skylight pane or it looks like its may be possible to buy slightly larger current build skylights from Velux and make them fit. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

10-03-17, 05:55 PM   #2  
Before you replace the skylight, talk to glass guy. See if there is a way to revive the glass.

Super Moderator

AZ

10-03-17, 06:35 PM   #3  
Are they (junk) plastic bubbles or rectangles on curbs? Or are they self flashing (which are even worse)? Velux make a replacement that (after you disassemble a bit and remove the plastic dome) will fit over and seal to the curb. I replaced mine here and had to remove the dome (not leaking...but hazed, scratched and let a ton of heat in), cut back a metal flange with a grinder, attach filler boards to the curb, then place the new Velux, push down to seal, and screw to the filler boards. I used synthetic decking as filler boards so I never had to worry about rot. No way was I stripping back 2 layers of shingles or paying someone to do it.

It really wasn't a hard job once I saw exactly what needed done. First one took about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs, second one an hour at most. They were the FCM series.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

10-03-17, 07:44 PM   #4  
Im pretty sure they are the curb mount type.

Super Moderator

AZ

10-03-17, 09:05 PM   #5  
If they are curb mount...it might not be difficult to replace at all, as I described. You'll just have to climb up there and do some inspecting, all the work is done from the roof. Pics when you get up there will help with further advice.

Vic

10-04-17, 07:43 AM   #6  
Here's a pic of the smaller ones that are around 18.5" by 24.5". Then I also have much longer ones as well but same style.

Attached Images

10-04-17, 01:02 PM   #7  
I unscrewed the top metal trim off the bottom and sides to get a measurement of the glass panes and now getting a quote from a couple local glass guys for new ones. Hopefully won't be too bad.

Super Moderator

AZ

10-04-17, 01:09 PM   #8  
Oh I thought we were talking cheap plastic bubbles. those look like they could easily be re-glazed with new insulated glass units (IGU). you would have to remove one, disassemble and find out the actual height, width and thickness of the glass...but it's done all the time. Any glass shop should be able to do it or order the materials you would need.

There should be tags or labels on those somewhere since they certainly don't look like el cheapos.

Vic

10-05-17, 07:34 AM   #9  
Update, got an estimate for replacing the 3 hazy skylight panes with new tempered and insulated glass $574 including labor. Seems like a pretty good price.

Super Moderator

AZ

10-05-17, 10:26 PM   #10  
Very good price I'd say. Depending on your location (and those of the skylights) you may want to consider spec'ing for low-e glass and or tinting as well. Likely it would be a minor cost, but the low-e glass could be worth it, esp if you have heat gain or loss in that area.

Vic

Search this Thread