Loose interior door hinge problem

Old 10-17-17, 12:10 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loose interior door hinge problem

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these kinds of interior door hinges and has some advice on what can be done to fix them, etc. The top hinge has lost grip within the two holes which slide into the frame and is now sagging (pics attached). Door removal should be done by lifting upwards off of the hinge but now it can now easily and dangerously slide out of the frame sideways without much resistance. Additionally there seems to be a small hole within the side of the frame but not sure if this is connected to how the two pins of the hinge should grip or not.

Just a note, the flat is rented and I do not really wish to carry out the work myself as it's not really my responsibility but if there would be a 'simple fix' then I would be happy to try it.

Many thanks for any advice and if I've missed any details that might be helpful let me know.

Marc
DIY noob

Attached Images    
Old 10-17-17, 03:01 AM
S
If it is a rented flat would you not be better contacting the landlord and getting them to call out a contractor? At least then you can watch and will know for next time.

Old 10-17-17, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Marc!

Why not have the landlord fix it? ultimately it's his responsibility.
Are those bolts ?? normally they are screws and you'd just replace them with longer ones to secure into the stud instead of just the jamb. Sometimes adding toothpicks to the hole will be enough to tighten up a loose screw.

Old 10-17-17, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Markse and I have similar ideas but I glue wooden match sticks in the hole and screw the screws in them.

Old 10-17-17, 02:04 PM
M
Thanks for the tips and you are right I should contact the landlord but I thought I would try to see if I could find a solution here first. If a handyman does come out to fix it, most likely I'll be at work and won't get to see how its done anyway.

Regarding the hinge, it's not actually screwed into the door frame. The hinge is ribbed which at first sight looks as though it would be screwed in but its actually not a screw which is the most confusing part to me. It is impossible to screw in the hinge as the lower section of consists of two pins. :/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: