Fix broken double glazed window


Old 11-03-17, 11:22 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fix broken double glazed window

I have a broken pane of glass at home see pics.
ive been quoted 100$ if I can get the frame to the local glass company. But it is 200$ extra call out charge.

Can anyone tell me how to get this glass frame out of the rest of the window?
And any other advice to fix this as cheap as possible?
Thank youJ
Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-17, 11:25 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyone recognise this type of window?
there are some type of screws or alann key type bolts on top that if I unscrew may release the pane but I'm not sure and it's hard to get at
Plus the Allan key head is not a regular one, so I have to try find something to fit it
Old 11-03-17, 04:50 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,438
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Just going to have to guess because I'm not there.
Sure looks like a double hung newer tip in window.
Should be able to just lift the sash, a little, unlock it at the top and tip it in and turn it sideways and the whole thing comes out.
The whole sash in most cases needs to be replaced, not just the glass.
Old 11-03-17, 05:16 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,107
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Like joe said...raise the sash about 4-6", slide the tilt locks on the top sides towards the latch, tilt the sash in to horizontal. Lift one side slightly (like twisting in the frame) and it should disengage from the balances and come right out. Reverse to re-install. If you still don't understand the directions, stop by any home center and ask them to demonstrate on a display. They all function pretty much the same.

I do disagree that the whole sash would need replacing. Most good glass shops can take the sash apart. Even if it's welded corners, they just cut them and bond them back together. They WILL have to order the glass, so you need to plan to cover the hole.

If you know the manufacturer and exact size, you CAN often order a sash, but it will probably take longer and cost more. May not even fit exactly due to manufacturing tolerances.
Old 11-03-17, 09:28 PM
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 709
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When i replaced a window at our place, the window slides up and down on a square "rail" kind of protrusion that runs vertically on the frame. I removed the window by sliding a plastic putty knife in between the frame and the window. A credit card would probably work too. Pried out one side, then the other, and the window pulled out parallel to the floor, then worked the window out of the frame.

As GunGuy says, you'll need to cover the window opening while the window is at the glass shop. Good luck with it!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: