Window Feedback

Old 11-29-17, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW, I think the stepped squares with grids look best, as pictured in post #16. Not that a window guys opinion counts for much...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-17, 10:41 AM
Like this? I like the two stepped windows. However, they don't attract the attention as much as the oval. I like the fact that the oval stands out and draws focus to the center of the home. And it allows in the most light. Also, I can't get the two square windows centered on that wall without shrinking the size, which I don't want to do. The oval shape enables me to reach over as far as possible to the right.

Attached Images     
Old 11-29-17, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
If you were asking me, i meant the 3 small stepped windows in post #16. They look the best of any option by far, imo.

Old 11-29-17, 10:54 AM
If you were asking me, i meant the 3 small stepped windows in post #16. They look the best of any option by far, imo.
So three stepped windows even though they wouldn't follow the roof pitch and I can't center them on the wall unless I go with about 16" x 16"? This is much smaller than I wanted to go. It wouldn't be an issue if that 10" rake board wasn't there. In other words, to use a window the size I want (18" minimum) and with it positioned as far over in that right corner as I could squeeze it, it would still be too far off the right wall, and I'd have to bring the left window over towards the right so the spacing matches, at which point it wouldn't be centered with the hall or the horizontal fascia board. So I'd have three small cramped windows. I don't think squares are going to work, although I do like the look.

What would your second choice be?

Old 11-29-17, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
I would move the small window over and center it with large window...

Old 11-29-17, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Also I would want the larger window for fire safety reasons for my children so they can step out on the roof in emergencies.. That would be my reasoning...

Old 11-29-17, 11:08 AM
Actually, maybe I can squeeze a 24" x 24" window on the right side. Things still look a tad cramped though don't you think?

Attached Images   
Old 11-29-17, 11:18 AM
I think three windows looks too busy. I think I've narrowed it down to either two stepped squares or one large oval:

Attached Images     
Old 11-29-17, 02:08 PM
I think the oval is better than the two stepped squares.

Old 11-29-17, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Im hating the ovals now... ( The eye house....lol)

The large windows like this is growing on me... But its not my house so it probably dont matter what we all think..

This seams to fit the house best.. And from the inside it will look most appealing IMO..

Put the crosses in the two windows ...

Old 11-29-17, 08:24 PM
I outlined the Oval on the interior wall with painter's tape and the more I look at it the less I like it. I think I may just go with an octagon like what came originally with the home,only slightly larger and centered on the wall. Anderson makes a 36" x 36" octagon, which I think will be a good size. Plus it will be cohesive with the many other homes in the neighborhood that have octagons. I'll sketch up drawings tomorrow.

Old 11-29-17, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
To answer, my second choice would be the 2 square stepped windows.

Old 11-29-17, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Man why not save yourself trouble... Leave all the octagons. Just add another stepped octagon... ( Same brand... That will look best probably and less $$$$. Plus keep the look of yourhouse compared to the others..

You know in life the simple way/thinking is usually the best IMO...

Too much overthinking, then you regret the decission...

So your just adding one window....

Attached Images   
Old 11-30-17, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator
To just throw more sand in the gears...why not a low profile Velux Sun tunnel? or 2? You can adjust them to catch the most light, they are relatively cheap, likely would require no framing, also probably no building permit. I THINK they'll work with a cathedral ceiling, not positive. They even have a completely flat version (according to their site) that would barely be noticeable from below.

Not the cheapo type Sun Catchers or whatever they are called.

Old 11-30-17, 06:37 AM
I have space to add a 24"x24" skylight over the stairwell, which I may eventually add. This was an option on this home that the original owner decided not to do.

FYI, this is the sunlight I am aiming to flood that side of the house with using a larger, centered window. Notice the boarded up window on the left of the photo. This is the east facing window I lost due to my garage addition, which used to let in abundant morning sunshine.

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-17, 06:52 AM
This is likely what I'll end up going with. What is the minimum distance I would want to maintain between the porch roof and bottom of the window considering snow and rain? I will be using 3/4" x 4" PVC trim around it.

Attached Images   

Last edited by mossman; 11-30-17 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
well Mossman...

A large octagon and a small one together with the garage one will upset the sunray vortex in the home. Especially with adding the skylight a special permit and engineer may be needed for sunray possible violations.

That octagon and skylight together may create a 3.14 pi reversal with a magnatudial force back to the sun increasing the suns strength possibly destroying the earth because of no electric. After all, Electricity is really just organized lightning right? At the Sunís core, energy is generated by nuclear fusion, as Hydrogen converts to Helium. Because hot objects generally expand, the Sun would explode like a giant bomb if it werenít for its enormous gravitational force offsetting your choice a window installation..

Be Careful my friend!!!!

( Just a little levity) ha ha....

Old 11-30-17, 11:50 AM
Very funny

BTW, there will be only one octagon window. The one in the garage is being taken out and the original one on the front of the house is being taken out as well. I likely won't do this until the spring, but I greatly appreciate all the feedback!

Old 12-01-17, 01:46 PM
Whether you change the front door to one with more glass and/or a sidelight or not, consider installing a skylight in the porch roof to brighten up the front entrance area. My neighbor did that last year and the result is very effective.