Window Feedback

Old 11-27-17, 06:33 AM
Window Feedback

Thinking about going with the following window configuration to let more light in from this side of the home. I lost one of my two east-facing windows due to my garage addition, so I want to make up for the loss of natural light. As of now, there is a single octagon on that front upper wall, which isn't cutting it. I'm leaning full grid or partial grid. Grids on the trapezoids may look odd because of the angle, and no grid looks a little too bare. Opinions? Also open for alternate suggestions. I also considered a single arch head transom window in this location, but I kind of like the three separate windows, which essentially create a transom look

Notice how the corners of the trapezoids tie in with the bird boxes on the gable ends. And I could make the center window the same dimensions as the upper half of the narrower double hung windows on the left of the house for some cohesiveness.

Attached Images    

Last edited by mossman; 11-27-17 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-17, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Middle photo... assuming your roofline stays the same. If the addition changes the roofline it may look odd.

Old 11-27-17, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Not a fan of grids, myself. My windows came with them but the installer did not install them and they're still in the crawlspace collecting dust 15 years later.

Old 11-27-17, 07:44 AM
Middle photo... assuming your roofline stays the same. If the addition changes the roofline it may look odd.
That is my favorite as well. The roof above was not changed by the addition. I'll dig up a more recent photo with the new roof...

Old 11-27-17, 08:13 AM
Here's a more recent photo showing the garage.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-17, 08:38 AM
And another photo with picture windows depicted:

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-17, 09:32 AM
Looks a little too contrived to me. Already lots of rectangles and triangles and now a trapezoid. Also looks too "short". I think a set of two double hung windows (the same height as the ones on front if possible) in the rectangular area of the wall would look better. If you REALLY, REALLY want to follow the roof line include a triangle window on the right adjacent to the double hung or separate triangle or octagon in the right hand part of the wall.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by 2john02458; 11-27-17 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added octagon option
Old 11-27-17, 12:05 PM
I appreciate the feedback. What I really want is a window on the far right to let light into my living room. That point is over the landing of my staircase, which goes upward as you go to the left. Reason why the windows are high are because I don't have much height to work with, and don't want windows down to my knees. My house faces the woods, so I can afford to go a little lower and not sacrifice privacy. If I put a window to the far right like I want, it would have to be triangular or trapezoidal, and I would think it would look best to have the window(s) to the left at the same level, but this may result in them being too low. Guess I could do one large rectangle in the center. Not sure how two double hung windows in the middle would look like. I'll mess around with it.

Old 11-27-17, 12:31 PM
Here's an interior view of that wall. I'm not sure what to do at this point. The whole intention is to get more light down to the living room below (no, the skylights aren't enough). I have another seemingly viable option, which would involve removing a small section of wall from under the staircase and installing either a small window to the right of the door, or replacing the front door with one containing a side light.

Old 11-27-17, 04:05 PM
The more I look at it, the more ridiculous it looks I'll hold off for now and ponder other ways to get more light into that side the of house.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-17, 04:26 PM
A big square, fixed glass window (with or without a grid) in the end wall where the octagon window is will add a lot of light at that level. A series of small windows stepped along the ceiling line above the stairs might also work and look interesting.

But it sounds like you are trying to get more light on the lower level, which is going to be almost impossible by adding windows at the upper level.

I can't see the front door well enough to tell if a sidelight will help. The porch roof will prevent much light coming in there. New LED light fixtures are very efficient and bright. Maybe adding some will do the trick.

Old 11-28-17, 08:48 AM
How about this? My daughter likes it

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-17, 09:10 AM
What about a large oval window in the center? I could dress it up a bit on the outside with some ornate trim or something. If I centered the oval with the wall, it would be over the staircase so no loss of privacy in the upper hallway, and it would let some light down into the living room. BTW, this is a north facing wall and gets direct sun all day. I often open my front door to let light in on this side of the house, which makes a huge difference. In addition to a large window or windows on that wall, I'll likely change the front door so there is more glass and thus more light.

Got the idea for the bottom one (three squares) from another victorian home. I kind of like it, but the hallway is on the left, so there would be a window about 14" off the floor. I guess that's okay, but I would lose some privacy.

Attached Images      

Last edited by mossman; 11-28-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-28-17, 09:41 AM
Inside views. Group of three square windows look kind of odd from the inside. Oval looks better IMO. I'm kind of liking the three stepped windows. This gives me light down at the lower end of the staircase and living room, which is the goal, and also keeps the rightmost window high for privacy and will light the hall like the current octagon does.

The three stepped windows wouldn't exactly follow the roof line, but I don't think it looks odd (does it?)

By the way, there are three square windows on the opposite side of the house, so the three square windows would tie in nicely. Although they would be larger.

Attached Images    

Last edited by mossman; 11-28-17 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-28-17, 10:12 AM
How about this? My daughter likes it
I think she is on the right track!

I like the three stepped windows, both inside and out. I think they should be a bit smaller or maybe you can match the ones on the other side. If both sides of the house/room are visible at the same time inside they should match.

The oval looks good, too. I like the one with the "sunburst" pattern. You can center that one on the outside wall and if it is off-center inside it will not look odd because of the stair.

Old 11-28-17, 10:26 AM
The three windows on the opposite side are not visible at the same time. You'd have to turn 180 degrees and look up. I don't think I would want to go any smaller than about 24" x 24". You think this is too large? For reference, the existing octagon is 24" x 24" (visible glass a little over 23").

I had the windows on the outside out of scale. This is what it would look like with 24" x 24". Inside view is accurate.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mossman; 11-28-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-28-17, 10:57 AM
I like that. The size looks right.

Now you should put that and your preferred oval one side-by-side and decide which you like better. If you use an oval, I think it looks better centered on the wall (as in your second and third oval pictures.)

Old 11-28-17, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Personally, I like the single oval in the first pic of post 13 best, the octagon just seems out of place on the wall and doesn't fit with the other main windows at all. The octagon in post 5 looks ok but it's positioned wrong to fit well with the one shown in the garage, needs to be about a foot to the right (about where the newel post is on the interior). Or 2 slightly larger ovals to not take up too much horizontal space but give more glass area. None of the trap windows look good...to me.

Don't forget to check your requirements for tempered glass around the stairs.

Old 11-28-17, 07:11 PM
The octagon on the house is existing and is centered with the hallway. The camera angle suggests differently, but it is dead center. I like the Oval the best too, but it doesn't let enough light in nearby the left wall (when viewed from inside). Not sure what two ovals would look like. BTW, the octagon in the garage nook is getting taken out. It's just too different from the existing one.

Old 11-28-17, 07:23 PM
Other ideas are too large triangles or two rectangular windows with an arched transom over top.

Old 11-28-17, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I could tell it was centered in the walkway to the stairs, but like you said, that puts it too far to the left from the outside view and doesn't allow full sun exposure I imagine. Pic 1 post 14 is what I was saying. I mean, that's a LOT of glass area. Between that and the skylight, if you aren't getting enough natural light, you need to go cut down some neighbors trees.

The square stepped windows don't fit with the rest of the house. Neither does the one in post 14 pic 2. And the triangles and traps just look odd and like a last minute add-on.

Maybe if you just rotated the house about 45 degrees one way or the other....

Old 11-28-17, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
I dont like any. But interesting the variations..

Its opinion of course..

3 windows are two many IMO..

Square? The whole house is square..

I would break it up and do only two larger ovals centered on your staircase... Spaced apart evenly...

Not as low as pic...

Old 11-28-17, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Draw a line on an interior pic where that outside roof line travels along the staircase wall... Will give a better perspective...

Old 11-28-17, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Although this may look better then separating them as you show... Now looking this is more appealing....

Old 11-28-17, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
LOL OK one more... Im old fashioned... But glass block you can make any shape you want and follow the light down the stairs and the angle shape you want for the home...

Old 11-28-17, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
I like all 3 of Mike's examples. Hey, no problem with a massive reframing project, right?

Old 11-29-17, 07:04 AM
I don't like the look of two ovals. I feel like more than one oval on a single plane doesn't look right. IMO, it should stand alone. Here are some more variations (note the octagon on the garage nook is being taken out).

Attached Images          
Old 11-29-17, 07:48 AM
I'm really liking the large single oval centered on the wall. Not sure about the grid pattern with two ovals--looks like a spider web. Maybe the single oval in the center. And I like the idea of dressing up the interior wall with adorning trim. This will bring some balance back into the home. Ever since I omitted one of my east facing windows and added the addition and more windows towards the rear of the house, the front is now lacking. It isn't dark by any means, but I lost a critical window and would like to bring more natural light into the front right of the home. I think a large oval will do the trick (36" x 24" perhaps). The install will be easy too--something I can do myself.

Old 11-29-17, 08:01 AM
Single oval from the inside...

Do you guys think a horizontal oval looks odd? I could go bigger with a horizontal window, which is a plus.

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-17, 08:13 AM
Don't think I can get past the eyeball/spider web look with the oval grid pattern in my example. I think I should keep it simple with a single vertical and horizontal one as follows:

Attached Images   
Old 11-29-17, 08:19 AM
Touched up the siding on the recent exterior oval example (rake and fascia boards were covered).

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-17, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
It would become known as the "Cyclops house".

Old 11-29-17, 08:42 AM
Now I am liking the horizontal oval even better than the stepped squares. Less contrived and larger glass area will allow more light inside. Also is a focal point drawing the eye to the entrance area of the house.

I agree that the oval with multiple oval dividers looks too much like a spider web. The single "sunburst., or perpendicular dividers avoid that. (What no Mickey? No Spidey?!!!)

Old 11-29-17, 09:00 AM
Haha, no. I told my daughter if she wants Mickey, then she can get three round mirrors and hang them on her bedroom wall

Here is what it would look like with the horizontal oval. I'm liking this too. Only concern is privacy, but I can sacrifice that considering no neighbors directly across the street. Plus I could tint the glass if it really bothered me.

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-17, 09:23 AM
Okay, a few more and I think that will do it.

Attached Images        
Old 11-29-17, 09:37 AM
I think these are the two serious contenders, for me anyway. I'm leaning oval because it gives me the extra light I want without sacrificing too much privacy. The half moon is nice because I can make it wider and thus more light, but maybe a little too much loss of privacy considering it is less than 24" off floor height. And although the half moon looks good from the outside because the bottom is parallel to the porch roof, it looks a little odd from the inside because of the staircase.

Attached Images   

Last edited by mossman; 11-29-17 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 09:37 AM
If you want to avoid the "cyclops" issue the single half round would be ok (from the outside.) How will it look inside? Probably not as "smooth" a relationship to the stair as an oval would be. I like the "sunrise" divide rather than the one with multiple radii.

Old 11-29-17, 09:56 AM
You posted that at the same time I was rendering up the inside view. I agree, half moon does not look right from the inside because of the stairs.

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-17, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Now that I see the garage I would keep that look..

IMO 3 is too many.. Try two straight across and two at an angle.

Old 11-29-17, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
What if you put a long window where the existing octogon is. A long window like the ones on the front of your house. Then one of those smaller square windows next to it... Make it so the bottom of both windows are on same plain

Search this Thread