Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Building code requirments for an entry door between house and garage?

CAL

11-30-17, 03:46 PM   #1  
Building code requirments for an entry door between house and garage?

I would like to install an entry door in a wall that currently separates my garage and the hallway of my house. My concern is how do I find out how to install the door so that it meets all building requirements? I don't even know where these building requirements are. I know there are building code requirements relating to fire-rating, clearances, and steps from the garage floor to the door (my house has raised foundation).

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-30-17, 03:55 PM   #2  
Call your local Building Inspector / or contact your county or city permit department.

CAL

11-30-17, 03:57 PM   #3  
Which one is it? local building inspector, county department, or city department?

Group Moderator

NE

11-30-17, 04:16 PM   #4  
Yeah sorry but I don't know where you live or how things work there. I can't possibly know if you would call your county or city. If you can find a number for your Building Inspector, start there.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

11-30-17, 05:16 PM   #5  
Since you're in California I will assume you need a fire rated door with self-closing hinges. This is typical in any city I've worked in.
You can go to the local building department (usually at city hall), take a number, and they will answer your question quickly.
There are no variations that I know of, the door must have self-closing hinges.

Brian
Cal Contractor

NY

11-30-17, 07:03 PM   #6  
There are no variations that I know of, the door must have self-closing hinges.
I like that. But not here in New York. At least not in my area. Never heard that the height or number of stairs was a concern or code!

Search this Thread