Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Protecting windows from lawn mower chips?

12-04-17, 01:04 PM   #1  
Protecting windows from lawn mower chips?

We've got a casement basement window that took a chip from a lawn mower. We're very close to the neighbor's house, and it likely happened from a riding mower that their hired mower uses.

Anyway, now that we've paid to replace the window, we'd like to protect our window from future chips. The window is partially in a well and partially above ground. I thought about a window well cover over it, but yikes, window well covers that will go high enough (3') above ground are hard to find and expensive when you do find them.

I've attached a pic of the window. Any thoughts on how we might economically protect it from lawn mower chip attacks?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

12-04-17, 01:12 PM   #2  
The only thing you could do is but a piece of acrylic (plexiglass), drill about 6 oversized holes in the perimeter (1/4") and then loosely hold it into the frame with 6 truss head screws. The point of the oversized holes and loose screws is so that it can expand and contract or it will crack.

Group Moderator

NC

12-04-17, 03:48 PM   #3  
It looks like your window might also be for egress (escape). You will want to install the plastic sheet so it can be easily removed from the inside in case of emergency. If your holes are over sized enough and you use bugle head screws the panel might just push over the screws and fall free.

NY

12-04-17, 04:19 PM   #4  
That was my 1 st thought, that you can't impede egress from the window. I'm betting it would be against code to use the plexi idea.
I would put your neighbor on notice to warn his mower service that any damage will be charged to them. You should not have to do anything to prevent them from causing damage. They should be careful, window or no window! Any lawn mower should not be throwing stone or debris so far and hard that it will break a window. Guards should be installed on the mower to prevent that from happening.

Group Moderator

NE

12-04-17, 04:21 PM   #5  
The acrylic could be put on the sash only and would not impede the opening of the window.

WA

12-04-17, 05:31 PM   #6  
I'm with X, use Lexan (high impact polycarbonate) over just the sash.

I'll bet that riding lawnmower has had the ANSI-required guard on the discharge removed by some know-it-all. The proper guard will all but eliminate the possibility of items being "thrown" from the mower discharge.

12-04-17, 08:01 PM   #7  
Thanks for the great ideas!

Thoughts on how I would attach the acrylic to the sash without damaging it? It's aluminum-clad.

Group Moderator

NE

12-04-17, 08:08 PM   #8  
You can screw it to the sash or silicone the edges over the glass. Or buy a window well cover. Or do nothing and have your neighbor pay for it again the next time.

As mentioned, it can't really be attached to the trim. Only other idea might be to attach it to a frame and just lean it again the front of the window well and against the top of the window to deflect debris.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

12-05-17, 03:50 AM   #9  
Plexiglass,Velcro on 4 corners. Will pop off if needed to take off. Don't know how long will last outside but easy to change as needed.

12-05-17, 07:10 AM   #10  
Thanks again for the followups: I've got lots of great options. I'm off to go buy some acrylic.

12-11-17, 04:18 AM   #11  
I thought I'd post a final wrapup: inspired by an idea from pugsl, I got a sheet of plexiglass, and attached it directly to the aluminum sash using outdoor 3M Command strips. It's working fantastically so far, and doesn't block the window at all. Time will tell, I guess, if it sticks or if the glue damages the aluminum; I checked with 3M, and they say it won't, but a little bit of touchup paint someday seems like a price we're willing to pay. Thanks again, everyone!

Search this Thread