Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

2 storm windows won't close because house settled

Old 12-04-17, 01:51 PM

Hi.

I have a 3 season room in our house that the two side storms windows won't close at the bottom all the way and are not TRUE to the frame I guess. My "guess" is that the 3 season room may have settled over the years and the window frames may be out of alignment? The windows close right, but not the out storm windows. There's about a 1/2 inch gap or so on one side of each of the two windows. The window is not perfectly parallel to the frame.

Is there any cheap way to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
It would help if we could see the window from the outside. Does it have screws holding it on?

Old 12-04-17, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Just guessing since we can't see your storms but I'd consider removing and reinstalling them. You might not even have to completely remove them but just remove the screws from three sides so you can shift the frame to square up the corners and get the sashes moving properly then re-attach the frame to the house.

Old 12-07-17, 07:57 PM
Thanks, I'll see what reinstalling them intales and try doing it.

Old 12-08-17, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
The worst thing is often storms are installed with aluminum screws. Their head can sometimes strip out before the screw loosens. If they do a hammer and chisel can pop the head off. Then when reinstalling you can drill another hole nearby to install a new screw.

Old 12-08-17, 08:07 AM
Good advise Pilot Dane. I would like to add that the aluminum mounting flange may have to be trimmed to fit the out-of-square conditions