Door hinge side hitting stop

Old 08-18-16, 03:33 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Door hinge side hitting stop

The hinge side of my door hits the doorstop when closing. It is causing the paint to come off the corner of the door. I have read various solutions online, from moving the stops themselves, to using toothpicks to offset The hinges very slightly. Any other ideas? I am hoping to avoid moving the stops themselves, as the base layer is painted with Lead, and I want to minimize disturbance if possible.

The door and hinges are old, but I suspect that paint over the years has reduced the gap to nothing.

Old 08-18-16, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You're exactly right... all those layers of paint add up. Tapping the stop with a block of wood to move it (or actually removing it if it is old and crusty and won't budge) is my first choice, but if you are unwilling to do that because it might mean recaulking and repainting... just remember that the other alternative probably also involves some repainting.

2nd choice would be to take the door off the hinges and router an 1/8 round over off the leading edge of the hinge side of the door... so that hopefully as it closes, the corner misses the door stop.

If the problem is not solved by either of those, you are probably looking at removing the hinges, plugging the holes (drill the holes out the size of golf tees and wood glue... works well) and then redrill the holes 1/8" away from their current location. This will leave a small gap you will need to fill and paint.

Old 08-20-16, 03:54 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Sleeper is right. I mortor the door hinge plate not the jamb hinge plate. You want to move the door away from the stop.
Remove the door and hinge plates and remove about 1/8 inch of wood so the hinges will mount closer to the other face of the door that moves the door away from the stop. I fill the old screw holes with 3/8 dowels. I think you have more glue surface and more "new wood" for the screws to bite into. Secure the hinge with only one screw in each plate. Try the door and if the result is satisfactory put in the rest of the screws.
You won't have to paint.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 08-20-16, 08:56 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Picture would be nice.
I would have cut the paint lines with a utility knife, pop them off, close the door and reinstalled new primed and painted one coat new stop molding then filled the nail holes and painted it with a second coat.

Old 12-29-17, 05:47 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Woodbutcher

I have seen you comment on this a few times. Could you clarify something regarding moving hinges when the door is slightly binding on the hinge side stop (to be clear not the jamb, but the actual door stop, which the door rests against when it's closed). You stated the following in post #3

" mortor the door hinge plate not the jamb hinge plate. You want to move the door away from the stop.
Remove the door and hinge plates and remove about 1/8 inch of wood so the hinges will mount closer to the other face of the door that moves the door away from the stop. I fill the old screw holes with 3/8 dowels. I think you have more glue surface and more "new wood" for the screws to bite into. Secure the hinge with only one screw in each plate."

Based on this statement, it sounds like I would move the hinge on the door and not the hinge attached to the jamb. What I am less clear is what direction I am moving the door hinge. Do I take my utility knife and remove a bit more wood so I can slide the hinge towards the back of door. See 3rd attachment (top arrow) OR am I sliding the hinge towards the front of the door, there by revealing more of the mortise portion of the doors edge. (bottom arrow)

https://imgur.com/a/ugh5n

https://imgur.com/a/26MOF

https://imgur.com/a/Ow7yW

Old 12-30-17, 03:36 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hello selby,
Picture one, Move the door toward the hinge pin OR on picture three (with arrows)
move the hinge plate on the jamb away from the door stop.

When I replaced a door I always checked the old door for fit before I remove it. If I had the problem that you have I knew that is was the placement of the hinge plates on the door because I never removed the hinge plates on the jamb.
Don't feel bad it took me a while to figure out what I did wrong. You don't have to move hinge plates much to cure your problem maybe 1/16 or 1/8 inch.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: