Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Where To Buy Spring Loaded Vinyl Weatherstripping?

Old 01-14-18, 12:10 PM

A few years back I bought some spring loaded vinyl weatherstripping for my front exterior door that is solid wood. This was the type of weatherstripping that screws in to the jamb, not the kerf style that a lot of newer door jambs have.

I need to find this again as it works great, seals well, no light gaps or cold air coming through the door.

My garage's exterior access door needs a seal. Last year I bought some screw on M-D weatherstripping that was some sort of rubber bulb. Right from the start this weatherstripping was garbage, even when pressed tightly against the door and screwed in place there were gaps that allowed light to come in around the door in various spots.

During the winter, this rubber got so hard with the sub-zero temperatures that sometimes I was physically unable to close the door all of the way in order to lock the deadbolt. I had to remove the weatherstripping and return it to the store!

I went searching at all of the local hardware stores including Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware. I can't find this spring loaded weatherstripping anywhere. All of the stores carry the exact same M-D weatherstripping with no variations what so ever.

Here is what I am talking about. Any help? The last time I bought this during the summer of 2016 it was about $15 for a full size exterior door. The top and lock side is spring loaded and the hinge side is fixed.

Thank you.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-18, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Never heard of spring loaded weatherstrip... been doing doors and windows for a long time.

What about something like this? https://www.amazon.com/AM-Conservati.../dp/B008BR9U2I

Old 01-14-18, 12:27 PM
That is a foam product, not the same stuff. There is no spring with that product and it is also about twice the price. I do see the stores selling that as well in addition to the rubber bulb weatherstripping.

The spring loaded weatherstripping looks like the pictures that I attached.

Old 01-14-18, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Old 01-14-18, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Old 01-14-18, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Astragals are for where double doors meet.

Old 01-14-18, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Gotcha. You found a more cost effective solution than I did.

Old 01-15-18, 05:40 AM
Old 01-15-18, 06:42 AM
There sure are a lot of choices in door weather stripping. Wouldn't you think ONE would be superior and rise above the rest?

Old 01-15-18, 08:29 AM
While it's not spring loaded, I have this on mine, and it works well.
M-D Building Products 3ft Door Sweep (68247) - Weatherstrip Caulk - Ace Hardware