interior glass pane on windows

Old 01-20-18, 08:22 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
interior glass pane on windows

We have a set of Weathershield windows in our kitchen, they are the casement style, two outer end ones crank out and the center one is stationary. House built in the mid 70's
These windows also have a separate thin piece of glass with rubber channel around the edge and are held in with 6 twist type of metal clips.Cleanig windows is a pain due to the very thin sets of glass need to be removed first and can easily break.One however is missing due to being broken I think, happened before we bought house.
Do these panels need to be there or can I remove the other 2 without any loss of insulation?I don't see what these panels really accomplish. thanks

Old 01-20-18, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Short answer is yes, you are better off keeping the interior pane on.

If your casement sash (the part that cranks out) is single pane glass it would be NOTICEABLY bad if you removed the interior pane. If your sashes have double pane glass, the 3rd interior pane of glass helps a lot. (You didn't tell us if the sashes are single glazed or double glazed.)

Glass is a terrible insulator. If you have single pane windows and it is 0F outside and 70F inside, the glass will be 16F (as concluded by lab testing). Let's say you have a clear double pane IGU that is 1/2" thick (meaning the panes of glass are separated by a 5/16" air space.) The temperature of the interior center of glass might be around 45F. Add a third panel (the single pane interior panel you want to get rid of) that is separated from the IGU by... let's say 3/4"... and the same center of glass temperature as measured of THAT pane will be even higher.

So it all has to do with heat loss. There is radiant heat LOSS and conductive heat loss. Separation of the glass panes via distance and non-conductive materials helps to reduce the heat loss slightly, which raises the temperature of the glass, which increases comfort level... if even by a few degrees.

Will you notice the difference on a day like today? Perhaps. But you would have to FEEL the difference. Will you notice the difference when it's -20 again? Probably will because you will SEE the evidence in the icing that takes place as the glass gets so cold that it begins to condense humidity from the air, causing water vapor to condense and freeze. If you ever get any frost or dew on the bottom inside edges of your windows when it's cold out, that will get much worse if you remove the single pane panel.

If you had a flir camera or one of those laser type digital surface temperature pointers... you would be able to do a side by side comparison... one window with, another window without... and actually see the temperature difference side by side.

If you don't like them, take them off in the spring to make them easier to clean. But I would definitely put them back on for the winter.

Old 01-21-18, 04:52 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, guess I will go out and get a replacement made for the missing one. They are double pane so I was wondering why the 3rd one ? Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: