Front door seems warped - how to fix this?

Old 01-22-18, 01:43 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Front door seems warped - how to fix this?

I've had two handymen try to fix this problem already. They both tried adding rubber trim. Didn't work. From what I can tell, the top of the door actually appears warped, but this is a metal door, and I'm not sure how this can be fixed.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-18, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
A couple of more pics would be nice, one from the other side and one showing the spacing all the way across the top and sides.

Old 01-22-18, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's not warped. It's sagging. I'll bet the gap at the bottom is wider than at the top, and on the hinge side, the top gap is probably wider than the bottom.

First thing is to tighten all the screws and see if that makes a difference. The top hing should have at least one screw (closest to the interior of the room) that penetrates into the actual wall framing members, not just the door frame.

I've also seen bad installs where the actual frame has moved because it wasn't properly shimmed and attached. Deal with squaring the door first.

Old 01-22-18, 02:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks GunGuy. I don't know how to do this myself, but will pass it on, if I can find another handyman. The Denver area is terrible right now. Population explosion. Hard to find ANYONE affordable.

Actually, thinking about this - the reason I was thinking it was warped, was because, if I press on that part, it seals.

On the con side, the house was sagging, to the right of that corner, by 1-1/4", down at the west end, due to a bad builder leaving out a support between the frame and a pier, in 2004. We had to have helicals installed, to stem the sag.

Last edited by Melissa2012B; 01-22-18 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 02:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
If the door is sagging it may be simple to fix. Take a screw or two out of the hinge on the jamb side and replace with a longer screw that will secure the jamb/hinge to the framing behind the jamb.

Old 01-22-18, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
If you can push the door in and make the light go away, you can adjust the strike plate, moving it in so the door latches tighter...

You can also try to raise the sag by doing what marksr said. You would do that with one of the two screws closest to the weatherstripping... not the ones that are farther away.