Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Rotating half-spindle for one-side-only door handle?

Rotating half-spindle for one-side-only door handle?

Old 02-11-18, 07:57 AM
Question Rotating half-spindle for one-side-only door handle?

Hi there!
I wonder if anyone can help... I need to attach a handle to one side of a door only, but still need it to turn and function (so a Taylors fixed blind half-spindle is no good)... and to complicate things, the handle and the door plate are separate, so the plate won't hold the handle and spindle in place - i.e. need to somehow attach to the back of the door, but (further complication!) there is little room behind.
I was hoping to find something like a half-spindle with just a flush plate to put through from the back of the door?
Does that make sense? Can't seem to find anything actually ready-made for this job - and not yet found the right component parts to make this myself.
Ideally the spindle also needs to grroved/slotted as the handle attaches with a threaded Allen nut.
Any ideas welcome!
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-18, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is your purpose for having only one side of a door with a handle? Maybe that explanation will help us get a better picture of what you want to accomplish.

Old 02-11-18, 12:07 PM
Hi czizzi - thank you for getting in touch.... ok, so here's the story...
It's an upstairs door in the house - like all the others on the face of it - but this one is the airing cupboard; due to the fact that the cupboard goes across a stairwell and due to the construct inside - tanks, pipes etc - the bottom half of the door (including up to the height of the handle) backs onto a board - with little or no gap.
But the door still needs to look and operate like all the other normal doors.
I am removing very plain handles - which is a one piece unit - and so that in itself holds everything in place with a half spindle doing the job of turning the latch.
I am replacing with some ornate German two-part handles - i.e. a separate plate and handle (hopefully sample images attached) - and so there is nothing currently now to stop the handle just pulling out of the plate.
I had envisaged pushing a spindle from the back of the door with a flush plate, but still allowing the sindle to turn with the handle on the outside and operate the latch?
Ideally it needs to be an 8mm half spindle - max spindle length I could accommodate is 3.5cm in the door plus max 4.5cm into the handle itself - probably a bit less to be safe, say 7.5 cm.
Hope that makes sense?
Thank you for any thoughts.

Attached Images   
Old 02-11-18, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Possibly mount a plate to the inside with a hole in the middle, cut your spindle to an appropriate length that goes through the plate, long enough to drill a hole and then insert a cotter pin on the inside to hold the spindle in place while still allowing it to turn. I assume the door is accessed very infrequently so it needs to operate, but not be flawless. Maybe a couple of washers between the cotter pin and the plate.

Old 02-11-18, 02:53 PM
Thank you... I'm not sure I have the tools/capability for cutting or drilling spindles, but the cotter-pin idea is definitely an option - and certainly gives me an idea that I might be able to do something similar with e.g. a ready drilled/slotted short spindle.
Many thanks.
I'll post what I come up with as the final answer in case it help others.

Old 03-04-18, 09:25 AM
Hi all - and czizzi especially for offering advice on this - much appreciated!
Problem is now wonderfully solved!
I wasn't over-keen on having a plate in the back of the door - and eventually found this...
https://www.homebits.co.uk/arkitur-h...le-c2x23618365
It's a half-spindle that you feed from the handle side into the spindle hole/follower - and then tighten the nut which expands the spindle into the spindle hole - and hey presto, attache the handle and it all stays in place!
Thanks all again!
This is the information from the website:
"ARKITUR Half Set Spindle
This half set spindle is used when you have a latch or lock that you want to operate but you only want to see a handle or knob on one side of the door, for example on a cupboard or your front door.
The 8mm square spindle is inserted into the lock case and with the grooves facing the location of the grub screw in your handle.Tighten the nut which pulls a bolt towards you inside the spindle thereby expanding the spindle into the lock which in turn clamps it rigid.The handle or knob is then placed over the protruding spindle and the grub screw tightened and you're done.
DIMENSIONS:
8mm Square
65mm Long"

Old 03-04-18, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, I think they stole my idea...LOL. Glad it worked out for you.