Bi-fold door track came detatched

Old 02-13-18, 12:08 PM
Bi-fold door track came detatched

After repeated opening and closing of the bi-fold door over the years, the upper right hand corner fastener for the upper track came undone, see attached pics. (While both the pics had the correct orientation on my laptop drive, the 1st pic self rotated 90 degrees after uploading.) The 2nd pic shows the hole left behind where the original fastener had been inserted. The hole is about 1/2 inch in diameter, though the close-up pic gives the impression that it is much larger. The original fastener was an anchor/plug which expanded sideways to stay put. However, I was able to just pull it out because the hole had enlarged over time. I can't put another anchor in because it will not stay put in the hole. I tried using a toggle bolt where the wings are supposed to spread and grasp the inner/hidden side of the ceiling sheetrock once inserted into the hole. The issue I'm running into is that when I attempt to tighten the screw, it keeps rotating on and on forever, without reaching the final tightened state. My hands are tired from repeated tightening attempts without meeting success. How best can I resolve this issue so that it becomes a permanent repair and the fastener doesn't come loose every now and then?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-18, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Looks to me like you just need to take the door off, drill a new hole nearby, and put a new screw in through that hole into the top track. Forget reusing that old hole.

Old 02-15-18, 02:43 PM
XSleeper, ok I'll try it.

Old 03-06-18, 07:48 PM
XSleeper, I was unable to take the door off. However, I was successful in drilling a new hole in the track close to the old one. As I was driving the screw in, I met with greater and greater resistance. I took that as a good sign, thinking that the new screw will hold tightly in place. However, towards the last 1/8 inch, the resistance vanished and the screw kept on turning forever without further tightening. As a result, there appears a tiny gap between the upper surface of the track and the lower surface of the mating ledge. I also drilled two additional holes in the track at other locations in an attempt to secure the track further. However, I got the same result when driving the screws in. Is there anything else I should be doing or just let it go at this point?

Old 03-06-18, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Hard to say what is going on. Normally there would be wood up there if your screw is long enough to hit it. Have you tried longer screws?

Old 03-06-18, 08:59 PM
The screw is hitting wood right away. It is a ledge, not a drywall ceiling that is down against the track.

Old 03-06-18, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry, I guess I don't understand why your screw isn't holding if you say it is hitting wood right away. Maybe you drilled the hole too big for the size screw you are using.

Old 03-06-18, 09:13 PM
I only drilled the hole in the track. I didn't drill it in the ledge.

Old 03-14-18, 12:01 AM
Try a toggle bolt anchor through the old hole?