Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How to remove stationary portion of the big double pane window

Old 02-17-18, 09:37 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I have a problem with windows getting old and need to replace the window panes that are exposed to sun the most. I also want to resurface/restain the frames before the new panes are put in. But before all that I need to be able to remove the middle piece of the window that looks like wedged in the frame. When I tried gently pulling on that I ended up dislodging the gasket and now the glass does not go back into the frame.

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 3947
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  w2.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  w3.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  96.2 KB

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PJmax; 02-17-18 at 03:49 PM. Reason: hosted pics locally
Old 02-17-18, 09:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Unfortunately photobucket no longer allows free pic posting, try this - How to insert pictures.

Old 02-17-18, 02:35 PM
N
Argh,

So you can't see anything?
When I pull up the post the images are there.
But I sure can resize them and repost later.

Maybe this will show up?
http://s64.photobucket.com/user/nmik...91443.jpg.html

Old 02-17-18, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I can see 1 picture in the link you just provided. Nothing in your first post. Do you have more photos? Be sure you make them public, not private/password protected.

Edit: I just opened up your 3 original photos by following the link.

It looks to me like your windows are vinyl, so I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish by taking them out.

The center sash usually comes out by lifting the entire thing straight up as high as it will go, then tip the bottom in toward the inside. Once it clears the bottom of the frame, let it drop down out of the top part of the frame. Installation is the reverse.

If you can't lift it up, it's likely that there is a security block above the sash that you would have to remove first.

Old 02-17-18, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Pictures hosted locally and are in the first post.

Old 02-17-18, 05:01 PM
N
Thank you for your replies.

Yes those are vinyl window and that's exactly what I am trying to figure out .i.e. how to remove those blocks.
The reason I want to take them out is so I can refinish the woodgrain and take the whole sash to the glass shop to replace the glass.
I will try to take some more detailed pictures and repost.

It seem there is no room to tilt the sash out of the way at least without removing the blocks on both the top and bottom.

Name:  w4.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  w5.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  w6.jpg
Views: 2206
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  w7.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  49.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-17-18 at 05:42 PM. Reason: hosted pics locally
Old 02-17-18, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
If you remove the sliding sashes, you should be able to slide the center portion left or right. Remove the top blocks, then lift it up as high as possible, until you can tip the bottom in.

Old 02-17-18, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Please don't use photobucket. Most members cannot see those pics here.
Post your pics directly to the board..... How-to-insert-pictures

That's it. You got it now.
Your pics did post but that would make a duplicate set.

Old 02-18-18, 07:02 AM
N
Thank you XSleeper.

So how do I slide the center portion without removing the blocks or how do I remove the blocks? They feel pretty tight there. I tried using a prybar to just see if they move at all and they are stuck. Should I try drilling them out? I assume if I try knocking them inwards that would just exacerbate the situation.
Would removing the glass in place make it any easier and would installing it back in be a problem when I get a replacement piece?
Just look at it again and maybe I can force a long lag screw with a large washer into the blocks and pull them out with it?

Last edited by Newbie; 02-18-18 at 07:06 AM. Reason: thoughts
Old 02-18-18, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Generally you just have to put your shoulder into it. It's been sitting there a long time so it is probably just stuck... wedged tight by dirt in the bottom track. You could start by removing the shim that someone stuck in there between the block and sash. (Top right side). And I don't know that tightening the top screw slightly would help any. (Might push the top up slightly) I don't know if those blocks are just resting in there or if they have a screw in them holding them there. Driving them in won't help, they need to be pulled out.

Yes, you might be able to replace the glass while the sash is in place but I can't say for sure. None of the pics show the perimeter of the glass close up. There is usually a removable stop on either the inside or the outside of the frame.

DIY'ers don't usually have the tools needed to deglaze the glass from the frame.

Old 02-18-18, 08:31 AM
N
Got it,
Thanks again!
Will post back when I get some progress.

Old 02-26-18, 10:32 AM
N
Kind of follow up question.

Since I have problems with window glass and the wood veneer that I doubt I will be able to either peel or replace neatly.
Would it make sense or is it possible to either have a window manufacturer come over and take measurements or for me to send them my measurements of the windows inserts so they can make just that without touching the frame.

Thanks,

Attached Images   
Old 02-26-18, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
If that's what you want to try. You would obviously need to know the window brand and contact either their dealer or the installer. Then you would need to hope that they have not since discontinued that window model, because if it is discontinued it's not an option.

Vinyl windows commonly go out of existance, either when their company declares bankruptcy or when they are bought by another company and just vanish.

Old 02-26-18, 02:22 PM
N
Thank you XSleeper,

I know for fact that company is out of business and there is nobody that I know of makes the replacement window. I am trying to avoid the mess of removing original frames, they are actually doing just fine at least for now. If I measure all dimensions of the window insert, can I have someone just make me the right frame(s) with glass? When they manufacture the window they still make at least two separate parts the frame itself and at least one insert, so why can't someone make me just the insert? Especially if their insert width matches to mine.

Old 02-26-18, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Very doubtful.

Old 02-27-18, 04:01 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Very doubtful.

In the second photo, it appears the outer vertical of the bottom U channel containing the fixed section is a separate piece, Can it be removed from the outside after removing the outside screen and its frame? The fixed section could then be pulled out.

Old 02-27-18, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
can I have someone just make me the right frame(s) with glass? When they manufacture the window they still make at least two separate parts the frame itself and at least one insert, so why can't someone make me just the insert? Especially if their insert width matches to mine.
........?.........................

Old 02-27-18, 07:39 PM
N
You are sure right,

nobody wants to mess with it or just can't do it.
They just want to come in, rip the old windows, install new ones and leave after charging me of course.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: