Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Double Hung Windows - Some Appear to Have a Film or Cloudiness?

Old 02-17-18, 12:36 PM

Hi All,

I have three double hung windows in my home that have a film/cloudy look to them. They're not foggy, do not have any condensation and the appearance never changes. (It's not K-Glass either)

It is not from the inside and when I touch the glass on the outside it's hard to tell if anything is on there. Regular soap/water does nothing.

What product/tool would you recommend trying? Or is this something between the glass that needs to be repaired or changed?

I've attached three pictures of one window, only the top portion, that has the film look.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-18, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Doesn't show up too well in photos but if it's between the glass then the seal has failed. It will only get worse. You would need to replace the IGU (the double pane insulated glass unit). If your warranty has expired, any commercial glass store can do it for you. Glazing stops pop off on the outside, the glazing tape is cut on the inside, and a new custom made IGU is glazed into your sash. Then the same glazing stops go back on.

Someone has to come measure the glass, because getting the right size and thickness is critical. They will also need to measure and match your grilles. Then it takes some time to have the glass made... and they will return to put the glass in about 2 weeks later.

Those kind of look like Gorell windows. If so, Gorell is no longer in business (gobbled up by another corporate entity) so there is no one to file a claim with.

To give you an idea of what it might cost, I charge $250 for the first one and $150 for each one thereafter. And I'm probably not charging enough. So if you have several to do, be prepared for a big bill.

Old 02-20-18, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the reply and information!

I'll look into repairing vs installing a new window. Might be worth getting a few new ones rather than fixing.

Old 02-20-18, 05:54 AM
In your first picture the bottom looks different from the top. Is it just the picture or is that bottom much clearer than the top? If there are others that look good and they are the same size you might mix and match.

Locate the mfg name and try to find them or if there was anything set aside to cover future warranties. That obligation sometimes continues after a company is dissolved.

Bud

Old 02-22-18, 09:01 AM
Hey Bud,

Yes, the bottom is just that much clearer. In the middle picture, you can see the difference when you look at the bottom of the window, near the latch, compared to the rest of the glass.

I'm going to find out who the manufacturer is and see when they were installed.

Old 02-22-18, 12:55 PM
I found the label for the windows. The mfr code is ELL-1.

I tried searching google but couldn't find the company for that code. Any ideas? I can supply more information if needed. Thanks.

Old 02-22-18, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
If interested, this is not a bad DIY job - we replace a dozen and a half or so every year in our units.

Old 02-22-18, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like ELL-1
Atrium Extrusion Systems
P.O. Box 1629
282 Welcome Center Blvd.
Welcome, NC 27374-1629

See also: https://aamanet.org/pages/archived-c...ucts-directory

Old 02-22-18, 07:58 PM
Stickshift: Yes, I'd be interested doing this myself if the warranty doesn't cover the issue. The sash's are simple enough to remove. Is it as easy as finding a replacement and popping them back in?

XSleeper: Thank you! I will give them a call tomorrow.

Old 02-22-18, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Give us a picture of the outside. It's not rocket science, but you would need to get a few tools, get the right thickness double faced glazing tape, rubber setting blocks, and take careful measurements. And not break it before you are finished.

Old 02-26-18, 07:36 AM
XSleeper: I added the pictures from the outside. I'm not sure what I should be looking for with this project. Are you talking about removing the glass from the sash and installing new ones while putting the gas in between? Or can I just purchase the sash as is, with the glass and grills, and pop them back into place?

Attached Images   
Old 02-26-18, 08:41 AM
The IGU is a sealed panel that gets installed in the window frame/sash.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube that show how it's done.

Basically there is a locking strip that is pried out with a chisel then using a flexible razor the seal is cut on the opposite side.

Once the IGU is out you clean up the double side tape (the most time consuming step) then reinstall new tape, pop in the IGU, reinstall the locking strip, and possible a bead of silicone on the outside.

Old 02-26-18, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
To get a replacement sash (the frame and IGU) you would need to contact either the window company or their dealer, the installer.

To replace just the glass (IGU) you basically do what Marq just described. If you don't feel confident doing that, any glass company can come out and do it for you. They come out once to measure, and a second time to install.

On your windows, I believe the removable glazing stop is on the outside.

Old 02-26-18, 11:39 AM
Ahhh, thanks Marq1 and xSleeper! It makes a lot more sense now. Mine looks to be fusion welded and would need to be removed from the outer portion. I'll look into buying the matching IGU to fit into the sash.

Any other tips/tricks/ideas that y'all might have? Any tools to purchase that would make the job easier?

Old 02-26-18, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Old 02-27-18, 11:10 AM
Great, thanks XSleeper!

I spoke with a supplier and my windows are all discontinued. However, they will still sell me the IGU's to install. I'll buy some tools and give it a shot!

Old 02-27-18, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Keep in mind that glass needs to be the EXACT size in order to fit. You also want to be able to slip 1/8" setting blocks around the perimeter of the glass... 2 per side. (Often you can just reuse the existing setting blocks) You would be wise to remove the old glass as a trial run... once you have it out you can measure it exactly. The height and width and thickness are all critical. Then just put it back in until the new ones arrive.

If you are having them made, the grid layout and size is also an issue. You will have to specify the grid locations, spacing, and size/style of grid. It's a good idea to submit a drawing... I have had to use the drawing as proof when they screw up the grid layout and want to charge me to redo them. Having things in print is often helpful.

An 8" suction cup is also nice to have. I have this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LDEH64...a-315922227308

Old 02-28-18, 05:32 AM
Fortunately, the supplier was able to get the exact specs through the original sales order and warranty information. Makes my life a little easier! Also, I will be receiving the glazing beads as well!

Old 02-28-18, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Wow, that makes your job easier!