How to replace these bottom sash pivot pins?

Old 02-27-18, 08:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to replace these bottom sash pivot pins?

Hello, I have few windows in my apartment, which happen to have broken off bottom pivot pins so these windows don't stay open. I've decided to fix them myself by ordering new pivot pins. The problem is that I have no idea how to remove these pins. I googled and looked on YouTube and most people just have simple pins that are attached with couple of screws. While mine are inside of the frame and it's not clear how to get them out in order to replace them. I made a small video explaining my situation and hopefully anyone here has experience with this and could tell me how to take these off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf_sPVSY-0E

Thank you!

Old 02-27-18, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
Yes, you would need to remove the screws that are on the sides first. Then you will need to pry the bottom rail off of the glass. You can usually do this by gripping and rocking it back and forth while pulling up on it. (If you have it setting on the floor upside down between your feet/knees). If needed, lay it flat and tap it gently with a block of wood and hammer. Flip it over and repeat. Be careful not to rip the marine glazing boot... it surrounds and protects the edges of the glass. And don't break the glass!

Once you get it apart, post a picture of the pivot bar sitting next to a ruler. The measurements are critical.

Old 02-27-18, 08:42 PM
S
Quick question before I do it. Or even two:
1) Once I take that rail off, would I need any special tools or glue in order to attach it back? Or it's supposed to just snap back on?
2) That glazing rubber you mentioned is attached to the glass and it looks like it also touches the rail and is probably glued to it as well. If I take rail off, does it just come off separately or it's not really glued to that rubber glazing?

Old 02-27-18, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
1). I can't tell. I'm not that familiar with that brand of window. I've got 27 yrs of vinyl window experience. So I have done this on similar windows just a few times. The screw will go back right in the same place once you put it back together. All you need is a screw driver, a block of wood and a hammer.

2). The marine glazing boot surrounds the entire perimeter of the glass like a glove. It wraps around the edge and both sides of the glass. It is never glued to the vinyl... it just fits tight, like a friction fit. It sometimes becomes stuck to the glass if the butyl was sticky when it was assembled.

I believe you will find that these are a match for your pivot bars. Compare your measurements to their specs.

https://www.swisco.com/Pivot-Bar-2-3...ot-Bars/26-125

Old 02-27-18, 09:02 PM
S
Yep, I already looked at these and I'm pretty sure they are like mine. Thank you for your advice, I will try taking off the rail and post the updates.

Old 02-27-18, 09:20 PM
S
Alright, I took one out (the broken one) and put it against the ruler. Please take a look:

Attached Images     
Old 02-27-18, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
It's very close. Is it 1/2" wide in back? What about the measurements of the pin that is broken off? I don't think you will find anything closer. I think you have to give it a shot.

Old 02-27-18, 09:48 PM
S
Yes, with the broken pin it's exactly 2 3/4"
I ordered a bunch of those, let's see how it works out when I get them.

Thank you so much for you advice, it really helped me out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: