Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page > A problem taking out coil balance from sliding window frame

A problem taking out coil balance from sliding window frame

Old 03-03-18, 10:20 AM
A problem taking out coil balance from sliding window frame

Hello, I'm trying to replace a broken coil balance in my sliding window frame, but there is a problem I bumped into so far. Most videos on youtube show that in order to take out the balance and a shoe, you need to slide them towards a notch or a cutout in the frame. This notch is usually eitelher in the middle or under window stop.
My window frame has no cutouts whatsoever. It is even all the way from top to bottom. I have no idea how to take the shoe out in this case.
Please take a look at the pictures.

Appreciate any help!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-18, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Vertically sliding windows are called double hungs, or if only one sash opens, single hung. You would need to cut the frame open to get it out. You have to leave about 1/2" of the frame intact above and below the notch so that the cap has something to snap into above and below your notch. On the lower sash, this is commonly done at the top of the jamb, where a cap can be snapped in to cover the notch. Your window has no notch, and no cap.

You would probably need to find someone that sells a cap you could use. Ebay has some, just search for "VINYL WINDOW SASH JAMB STOP".

Old 03-03-18, 02:30 PM
Thank you for replying, so let me confirm what I understood so far:

1) I would need to cut a notch myself on top of the frame and also cover it with the window-stop cap after everything is done. Please take a look at the first image, I put some red lines where I think you mean I could cut it. Could you please confirm that?

2) Also, other side of the frame has a cap, here is a picture of it, this is what I need to put on top of that new cut out notch, right?

3) If possible, could you tell what coil and what shoe do I need to order from Swisco? I don't think I need the whole thing as I still have that top balance part in place, only the coil and a shoe itself. Here are few more pics showing those close-up from the other side of the frame.&

Thank you!

Attached Images     
Old 03-03-18, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not likely, not without being there to take it apart and examine it...having the part out and being able to measure it accurately. We also don't know the weight rating of it. You should also replace them in pairs... in case you were thinking of only doing one side. You could check this out for starters. (Not saying this is a match)

https://www.swisco.com/4lb-Series-16...Balance/S165-4

Watch the video if it helps.

Search this Thread