Exterior Doors

Old 05-12-01, 08:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to install an exterior door. My problem is the vertical height measurement is only 81 inches. Generally I believe you need approx. 83.5 inches to install a standard door. My question is can i cut a pre-hung metal door 2.5 inches off the bottom to make it fit the space. Also, what tips would you recommend to keep from marring the finish, etc.
Thanks

Old 05-26-01, 05:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Re-sizing a prehung metal door

Dear B Wright,
As a professional woodworker from CT., making custom wood doors and entry units for estates on Long Island Sound, I can only say I wouldn't. To cut the bottom off a steel clad door, you would also need to resize the jamb legs and all the weatherstripping. Then, if you noticed that the steel face is wrapped into the wood rail core (under the bottom door seal), you would have to recreate that condition. If the door you are installing is in a vestibule or under a roof of some sort, not fully exposed to the weather, you might get away with it. Otherwise I don't reccommend this.

Old 05-29-01, 08:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Exterior Doors

Gerry,
Thanks so much for your reply. I have elected not to attempt cutting a metal door.
Thanks again,
B. Wright

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: