Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Door Jamb Issues with Exterior Door and Floor/Brick...

Old 04-14-18, 02:08 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Putting in an exterior door. The current jamb is an old 5-1/4" one, with the exterior side being brick. I want to use a composite frame (swelling issues currently with wood in that jamb), but they only come in the 4-9/16 and 6-9/16 standard sizes. Would it be ok to use the larger 6-9/16 version since I have clearance on the exterior side to do that? The exterior sides are brick with some clearance, and the bottom is a concrete slab with about 7 inches to spare. Or would there be an issue with the installation overlapping the brick and staying plumb? Or should I get the smaller one and just frame out the brick molding a little bit if I need to close a gap on the exterior side? Is there even jamb extensions for composite?

I'm afraid I'll get a nice new fiberglass or steel door and the crappy wood jamb might still swell and give me issues. I don't wanna have the same problem I have now. A new pre-hung door is gonna be a tight fit as it is...

Thanks guys!
Brian

Attached Images    
Old 04-14-18, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
Yes, you can use the 6 9/16" jamb as long as you don't mind your brickmould and sill nose moving out the additional 1 5/16". Won't hurt a thing. Having the longer sill nose is often beneficial.

You may need to remove the brickmould to install the jamb... then put it back on after it's installed.

Old 04-14-18, 02:33 PM
B
I almost forgot... the floor inside is raised 5/8" from where it was (added plywood over plank subfloor) and will be another 3/4" once the hardwood is down. As it is now the door will just clear the added height, but the door is 79-3/4" tall. Are 80" doors exactly 80" or is this usual? I may have been cut before. May have to raise the whole thing... hoping the standard rough in will have enough clearance if so.

Attached Images    
Old 04-14-18, 02:47 PM
B
Awesome, thanks XS... quick question though. If I need to raise the door 3/4" or so, would I still be OK with the sill, or should I get a prehung without it and just get a threshhold like there is now and keep the concrete as a "sill"? Not sure what I'd close the gap with underneath if there was one...

Old 04-14-18, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
The door opening (the part that opens) is 80". The door sill adds 1 1/4", the head adds 3/4". So a standard door will be about 82" tall. When measured outside (bottom of sill to top of brickmould, that is usually 83 1/2").

So your door will swing open 1 1/4" above the rough sill. If that is not enough to clear the flooring (test fit it) and still have a throw rug in front of the door, then yes, you will want to sit it on top of some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or similar. But you need to have enough height in your rough opening to do that. Sometimes there is a flat 2x4 up there you can remove. If nit, the only option is either to sawzall it, or put in a new header. The brickmould will be off, so you can always rip the top piece of brickmould down if it needs to be narrower to fit.

Old 04-14-18, 07:18 PM
B
Thanks again man! I feel like I'm asking idiot questions sometimes, but I'd rather be redundant than miss something simple. Appreciate the help. Have a good one~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: