Rotting window trim and sill outside

Old 08-16-18, 06:16 PM
Rotting window trim and sill outside

Hi.

Is there a good way short of replacing the entire sill and or trim around window to fix rot?

Is used a putty knife and scraped out a good deal of the rot as it was very soft and spongy, but I don't think I got every bit of it.

What do you use to fill in the rotted area? Wood putty or epoxy?

Here's a couple pics

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-18, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 127
Yes, they make wood epoxies that will give you a few more years. You can also buy a wood hardener... soak the wood, let it dry... Then use your epoxy.

Old 08-16-18, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Yeah I'll most likely try the hardener also.

Would just plain old Plastic wood (the pink stuff) work ? I'm going to prime and paint it after.

Thanks

Old 08-16-18, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Use whatever you want. I'd recommend you unscrew that window to fix/fill what's under the expander.

Old 08-17-18, 09:28 AM
Do you mean the storm window? I've never done any of this stuff before sorry.

Old 08-17-18, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Yes the storm window, they aren't difficult to remove although if they've been painted in place you may need to pry a little [gently]
The more rot you remove the better the patching material will do. Normally it bonds well to sound wood but any rotten wood is the weak link.

Old 08-17-18, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Yes the storm window, they aren't difficult to remove although if they've been painted in place you may need to pry a little [gently]
The more rot you remove the better the patching material will do. Normally it bonds well to sound wood but any rotten wood is the weak link.
Thanks Marksr! I was looking around at them more to get familiar with them. I'm new to windows, but I don't have a ton of money, so I want to be frugal and keep my windows in good working order!

This will be ONE of my new hobbies lol!

I think I located the WEEP holes. There is one slot on each side of the inside of the window on the bottom if you look in from the screen side outside for example. I'm hoping these are the weep holes.

It looks like in my windows (circa 1971 ranch) the sill goes from the outside right up to the sill inside the window. It's slanted down towards the outside of the window. I'm not sure if this is one wide piece of wood or if the outside sill goes under something inside and is nailed down from the inside.

I think I should read up on windows. Still painting my house since June 1 and finally starting the 3rd side. Hopefully I'll get it all done by fall, but may leave one side for next year.

Old 08-17-18, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Once you take off the storm window it will probably be clear whether or not the sill nose is a separate piece that can be replaced. There is usually a 1/4" step down right behind the expander (the part with the weep holes), and you will often be able to tell from the way the wood rotted away whether or not the sill nose might be easily replaced. They often had a dado that can be replicated on a table saw.

If there is no 1/4" step and no lip where the rot behind and ends... it's the solid sloped sill style. And even some sills with the 1/4" step don't have a replaceable sill nose... they are usually 1 1/4 thick in front though... not 1 1/2".