Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Do I caulk under the storm window between sill?

Old 08-21-18, 03:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Are you supposed to caulk underneath the (permanent) storm window (aluminum) underneath the window where it meets the sill? In my pic the left side is rotted wood outside, so I am going to fill this area, but just wondering if in general I should caulk from the inside at the bottom of the storm window.

Here's a pic. You can see daylight through the bottom left for example.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-18, 03:20 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Looks like your sill is rotten on the left side from lack of proper maintenance.
Why would you want to caulk over wood rot and peeling paint?
I would not caulk it, main reason is at some point someone is going to forget to close that window it it will allow the water to run out.
I'd be removing that whole window frame and all, sanding all that paint off down to bare wood, making repairs to any rotted areas, priming with oil based primer then 2 coats or ext. latex.

Old 08-21-18, 03:37 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
But to answer your question, if the sill was in good shape, then yes you would caulk making sure not to plug the small drain holes provided.

Old 08-21-18, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I *never* caulk the sill expander or any other part of the storm windows.

like I mentioned in another thread, you want to remove the storm window, repairrot or replace the rot... then reinstall the storm window.

Old 08-21-18, 03:46 PM
B
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks like your sill is rotten on the left side from lack of proper maintenance.
Why would you want to caulk over wood rot and peeling paint?
I would not caulk it, main reason is at some point someone is going to forget to close that window it it will allow the water to run out.
I'd be removing that whole window frame and all, sanding all that paint off down to bare wood, making repairs to any rotted areas, priming with oil based primer then 2 coats or ext. latex.
Right I am going to remove the storm and fix the rotted area by removing the rot and then applying hardener and then wood putty etc.

Even where there isn't rot there are areas on other windows where I can see daylight in certain areas around the storm. My weep holes are slots up on the bottom of the storm I'm pretty sure. I would think insects, which I get a lot in the fall, could come in through these areas where I can see outside around the storms edge.

Old 08-22-18, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
It's best not to caulk storm windows as it complicates their removal [think next time you have to paint] Generally it's best to repair the wood or bend the edge of the aluminum to get a tighter fit. If I have to, I'll caulk just the areas that don't fit well. The weep holes are usually a 'bent' out portion on the bottom edge of the storm window frame.

Old 08-22-18, 03:20 AM
B
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
It's best not to caulk storm windows as it complicates their removal [think next time you have to paint] Generally it's best to repair the wood or bend the edge of the aluminum to get a tighter fit. If I have to, I'll caulk just the areas that don't fit well. The weep holes are usually a 'bent' out portion on the bottom edge of the storm window frame.
Thanks Marksr! I was just thinking insects can get through. I'm going to repair the rot on the one above and remove the storm to do it. I'm in the process of doing the same to the one next to this one. It takes multiple layers of wood filler as the repair was deep.

Here's what the repair looks like so far. I've got to build it up some more.

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-18, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
The smoother/neater you apply the filler the less sanding you'll have to do. Don't know about you but I hate sanding!

Old 08-22-18, 04:37 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
What type of filler are you u sing? Is it rated for outdoor use?

Old 08-22-18, 09:02 AM
B
Originally Posted by Norm201 View Post
What type of filler are you u sing? Is it rated for outdoor use?
Using two different kinds on one patch ..... I know maybe that's not a good idea?

But I had some pink DAP plastic wood and now I have a big container of Elmer's Pro Bond. I bought them both a few days ago.

They're both interior/exterior, but I'm a little worried because now it's raining heavy today and there's still a little pink I can see out the window. Hopefully it'll be ok.

I still have more layers to add. I'm slowly building it up and letting it dry good between layers. I figure that the stuff deep won't be able to dry if I cover it too quickly?

I gotta get it sanded, primed and painted, but today's raining! YIKES!!