Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Existing Vinyl Window Replacement Options - 2001 Home

Old 08-27-18, 04:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Looking for some input on the best way to replace my existing vinyl windows. Our house is a 2001 and has new construction almond colored vinyl windows. When we purchased the house last year we knew there would be some updating, and I am ready to do the windows and change out the light oak trim while I am at it.

I have done quite a bit of research on window replacement and it seems that all the documentation I can find assumes windows have an and existing frame and an outer stop. But, I havenít found much info on replacing existing vinyl new construction windows.

I have seen two options, but I am not sure about the viability of the first option.

1. Cut the window out, and then pull the flange somehow, reflash under the siding and rough opening, and then use non-flange windows and screw directly to the rough. Is this really viable if I do not plan on replacing the siding.

2. Cut back the vinyl, remove the current window along with the flange and any outer flashing. Replace with another new construction window, flash and seal. And then cover the flange with trim/mold, add new drip mold. This seems to be the most complete way.

The third options would be removing the siding, but that seems like the highest effort.

Any input about the options for replacement would be great. I had some quotes at around $1000 a window but given that the windows are around $150 to $300 depending on size quality I would love to do it myself.

Thanks,

Mike
Pictures attached.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-18, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
I don't quite understand why you want to replace the windows. You can replace the trim without touching the windows.

To replace the windows it would definitely involve removing the vinyl siding, sine your existing windows have a nailing fin... as will the new ones. And the nail fin must be incorporated with the WRB when the new windows are installed.

Anyone who wants to replace the windows without removing the siding or who tells you otherwise is a hack. There is no shortcut.

Old 08-27-18, 04:22 PM
R
We want to replace the windows because the almond color against the white trim we have done in other area's of the house make the windows looks smoke stained so we want to put in white windows. A few of our neighbors have 6 inch trim around the windows and we like the look. In this instance, would cutting the siding back 6 inches around the window give me proper access for wrb and flashing.

It seems a bit crazy to me that anyone would use these windows if you need to remove all of the homes siding and redo all of the wrb just to replace a window.

Old 08-27-18, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
You can cut the vinyl siding out around the windows 6", but if, for example you use a grinder or skilsaw and cut through the existing wrb while doing it, you just created a leak. What seems crazy to you... takes about 30 minutes for someone who knows what he's doing.

Who said anything about replacing all the wrb?

Old 08-27-18, 04:37 PM
R
Cutting the siding back doesn't seem crazy too me. I could also remove the siding. As an FYI where my comfort level is. I have finished basements in two of my homes, framing, drywall, mud, sanding, and electrical, recessed lighting, all passing inspections with my local city. The only thing I didn't do was the egress windows. Its not as if I cannot do house work, but there is only one way to become someone that knows what he is doing and that is to try.

I am not opposed to popping the siding off, but if I like the molding, I was wondering if that is a necessary step. Again, looking for a viable DIY solution here to gauge effort and difficulty.

The reason I asked about not removing the trim was because I saw this video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FLp4KRK7Qw

Last edited by RetroJonez; 08-27-18 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Sure, let's say you can cut a straight line and cut the siding back 6" with a tin snips and don't cut into the wrb. You still need to remove the siding to install the new j-channel behind the siding. Plus, with vinyl siding, it's a good idea to flash the bottom of the j-channel out over the course of siding below. (You do that as the siding goes back on) This isn't something everyone does, but it's a good practice that can save you from having rotten sheathing in the long run. Plus it's easier, faster, and more exact to cut the siding to fit around the new trim AFTER the window is in. (I've only been doing this since '91.)

And I'm not even going to get into $ per hour or costs. There are far to many factors involved to do that, plus this is a DIY site. If you want to DIY and you want to do it right, there are many people here who can help.

Old 08-27-18, 05:14 PM
R
Awesome, thank you. That gives me a start for more research. I have a few windows that are easy access from the deck, that I can pop the siding off there. If I run into anything I may end up paying someone else, but figure I can give it a start with the windows that are standard size and accessible.

Old 08-27-18, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Correct. Pop siding off... you can unhook it from the existing nails, number it, and put it right back on where it was later.

You only need drip edge (z-flashing) if you install that 6" trim and it goes over the top of the top trim.

Once the new window is in, you flash it with flashing tape. Add your new trim if desired. Add new j-channel around the perimeter of that trim. Cut the siding to length, and hook it back over the old nails. You may need new finish trim above and below the window or you can use a utilty j-channel above and below the window depending on the circumstances.

And I sure hope your home has a wrb behind that siding. In that time period some guys were omitting it and creating big problems.