enclosing our laundry closet

Old 09-23-18, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
enclosing our laundry closet

Hi all and thanks in advance,

I have an exposed laundry closet that I would like to close-off with some kind of door. Our old washer/dryer used to fit perfectly in the closet, however, I recently installed a new washer/dryer that is slightly bigger and now protrudes into the door frame, so I had to take out the door. With about 3/4" between the outermost part of the door frame and the washer/dryer, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a solution for adding a door? A barn door also won't work in this case, since the adjacent walls are too small. You can see the attached pictures for your reference.

Given that I have very little background in DIY projects, home improvement and repair, etc., it would be most helpful if you could mention materials and equipment needed, and the how-to for completing this type of project. Thank you so much!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-18, 01:41 PM
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
It is hard to tell from the pictures but it does not look like the units are protruding into the space where the door would be. Perhaps just the door handles are hitting. You could replace the original door and remove its door handle on the inside if that is hitting. If the unit handles are hitting you might be able to push the units back another half inch or so and they will clear or just touch the door when it is closed.

Last edited by 2john02458; 09-23-18 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-18, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
It looks to me like the dryer/washer doors protrude out to far to just reinstall the doors.
What if you removed the casing, install a 2x [ripped to fit] and then reinstalled the casing. That would bring the door out 1.5" You'd need to install a new door stop also.

Old 09-24-18, 05:52 AM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
Marksr,

I had the same idea, and it seems OK on the far side, but what about the near side? I assume it's an open wall. How would you finish of the edge?

Old 09-24-18, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Hard to say without seeing but a piece of molding [maybe baseboard] could be used to hide the edge. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to dress it up.