Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Some of my double hung wood windows (circa 1970) don't stay open

Old 09-23-18, 07:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Both of the sashes more or less fall in a few of the windows in our 1971 ranch. We have to resort to putting sticks under each to hold them up, etc.

They have metal (looks like aluminum) jambs or (liners?) where the sashes slide up and down.

Is there a way to fix these? I saw a video where I think the guy said these type of windows rely on pressure to hold the windows in place. I don't have ropes or pulleys in these windows.

thanks

Old 09-23-18, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Like I mentioned the last time you asked.... there are several kinds of aluminum jamb double hungs, and each has its own peculiarities. No way to tell what kind you have with no additional info or pictures.

Old 09-23-18, 11:13 PM
B
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Like I mentioned the last time you asked.... there are several kinds of aluminum jamb double hungs, and each has its own peculiarities. No way to tell what kind you have with no additional info or pictures.
Thanks Xsleeper. I forgot, but I can't post any more pictures for some reason. I'll take a closer look at the windows tomorrow and see what I can see as far as screws or whatnot.

Old 09-24-18, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Find a website to upload pictures to and post the link.

Old 09-24-18, 03:24 PM
B
today I was fixing some of the glazing with LATEX Dap. I would like to do it the proper" way, but I don't have the time right now and want to take the windows out to do it. All of my windows also have permanent aluminum 3 track storms, so I wouldn't think that the glazing would matter as much maybe.

I scraped out (with a 3 & 1) a lot of the really crumbly old glazing basically down to the wood. I didn't prime as this is really a temporary fix until I can take out the windows and do a proper job one by one (I on;y have 12 windows on the whole house.

I noticed a "well type" gouge line along the rabbit when I scraped out the old glazing. What is this for?

I noticed that the metal "jamb liner" is stapled in. I'm thinking that in order to get the window sashes out (it'll give me something to do in the winter) I take out the "trim" in front of these on the inside of the window and then take out the staples and HOPEFULLY the sashes and the liners come right out from the inside I would think?

I thought that maybe I'd have to take the casing (trim) around the window out also, but upon a closer look it looks as if the casing and (this piece that holds the windows in) are separate pieces of wood.

Old 09-25-18, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Glazing does usually last longer when protected by a storm window. Most windows have that groove, I don't know why .... maybe it helps the glazing have more to adhere to. I don't know much about those metal liners but suspect it would be difficult to remove them and keep them in good enough condition to reuse.

Old 09-25-18, 02:25 PM
B
Can I get new jamb liners to replace the aluminum ones if I had too?

Is the "stop" the piece of wood trim that holds the sash in from the inside of the window and separate from the interior casing?

Are all wood windows theoretically the same with regard to lasting quality, etc?

I mean I know there are some diehard wooden window fans out there and I realize mine don't have any "historical" importance obviously, but are wooden windows wooden windows?

Old 09-26-18, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Yes, the stop helps hold the window in place. Like most things there is a wide range of quality between wooden windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: