Andersen Patio Door Leaking

Old 10-01-18, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Andersen Patio Door Leaking

I am looking for some advice on where to start here. We have a walk out basement and when it rains pur slab gets wet from what looks like between the door and the slab. The door is 11 years old so itís kust out of warranty. Any advice is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-18, 02:33 PM
Here are some pictures of the leak. I know itís not the best pictures.

Attached Images   
Old 10-01-18, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Doors are usually set on top of a heavy bead of sealant. Best thing is to remove the door and reset it. But if that's not possible then try and caulk it on the outside primarily. Inside is a secondary bead.

Old 10-01-18, 03:26 PM
Alright thank you, I will give that a try. I have no experience taking out doors like this. I will give the sealant a try and see what I can do. We are wanting to put flooring in the basement and can’t have this leaking all the time so it’s quite frustrating.

If I want to take the whole door out would I have to putt off all the siding on that side of the house or can you unbolt it without taking the siding off?

Old 10-01-18, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Likely you'd have to loosen siding around the door and remove J channel...but it depends on how it was installed. Vinyl siding?

And what did you mean...just out of warranty? Builder warranty? There wouldn't be any manufacturer warranty since it appears to be installation related unless it is somehow coming through the door...which doesn't appear to be the case. If it just started, likely not enough sealant was used or possibly the wrong type and it's just now failed. I've seen everything from plain acrylic latex caulk to butyl rubber to construction adhesive.