Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Need help flashing door with Dupont Flexwrap.

Old 10-02-18, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, I need to replace two sets of french doors. I want to weatherproof with DuPont Flexwrap and Straight Flash, but not sure I'm going to be able to use Flexwrap because there's only about 1/2 to 1" clearance between the threshold sill and my deck. Everything I've seen shows the Flexwrap going down a few inches past the rough opening, so what can I do?

I really don't want to remove my deck boards because they're nailed down.

Thanks - Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Ideally you would remove the decking first. If you can't do that, I would cut it back so that you can slip the membrane down farther. That should then be covered by a metal flashing because those types products are not meant to be left exposed to the sun and weather.

Old 10-02-18, 04:50 PM
XSleeper, Maybe I don't understand you, but these doors are coming out due to rot and poor flashing and new doors are going in the rough opening. I planned to pull the jchannel and siding and have my rough opening fully exposed. It will be like a new build, but my deck is in the way.

Old 10-02-18, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
After you remove the door, run a saw along the decking to increase the space you have. That will allow you to run the flex wrap down farther. But don't cut too deep and cut the ledger flashing.

Old 10-02-18, 05:11 PM
XSleeper, Thank you for the suggestions. I'll start researching that.

Do you think I should consider a different type of membrane? I think if I got a non 'flex' type that I just slip behind the deck, cut the corners, and overlap, maybe that might better choice for this application. Maybe use 6" Dupont Straight Flash.

Also, I didn't know I'd need a metal flashing too. Thanks. I was just planning to use a Jambsill and Flexwrap, leaving the front inch exposed. Again, I'll start researching that advice too.

Old 10-02-18, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that might be better. You will have a hard time stretching flex wrap around the corner with the decking in the way.

Old 10-02-18, 05:16 PM
XSleeper, Thank you very much for your opinions.