New solid bedroom doors 1/4” too wide

Old 10-06-18, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
New solid bedroom doors 1/4” too wide

Hi. I am going to purchase new solid core bedroom doors for sound purposes. The hollow doors I have now are 29 3/4” wide by 80”. The new doors are 30” x 80”. Basically I need to shave 1/8” off both sides. What do you think the best method of doing this would be? My tools are a bit limited, but I know there are more than one way to do this. These are the doors I am looking to purchase. Thanks.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masonite-Pr...-in/1000056115

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-18, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Ό" off hinge side and redo hinges. Use a circular saw, plywood blade, and most important a metal saw guide. Example: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...38970166259739

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-18, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you don't have the tools and don't wish to purchase for just this use, check with local high schools or vocational schools that may still have "woodshop" (a dying breed I admit). If no luck, try community colleges. Also, small cabinet companies or countertop installers could knock it out in literally minutes likely for a small fee.

Depending on your location (please update your profile under Forum Actions/Edit Your Details, at top) there may be a "makers shop/club" near you that will likely have a complete workshop and for a minor fee will loan you the tools and help you do the work. Some are very complete in all sorts of disciplines (welding, metal fab, CNC, 3D printing, etc) and hold all sorts of classes...but they are very expensive. Others are more basic, but would still be worth looking in to. Perhaps a local woodworkers club as well...they do exist!

Old 10-07-18, 05:32 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
Just a word of caution, had a house where we swapped out the hollow core doors for solids and all the hinges eventually had to be changed as the weight of the door was causing the metal to wear and leaving black streaks on the door and trim.

Plus we found that if the doors got a little momentum during closing it sounded like they were going to rip the frame off the wall.

Next house going with the foam filled doors, great for sound proofing but still relatively light weight!

Old 10-07-18, 07:45 AM
Thanks folks. This is helpful info. The new doors are composite and I imagine foam filled. The trim allowance is 1/8” on each side. I’m wondering if a hand plane may be the way to go with this?

Old 10-07-18, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
I think Ray already answered it. But a table saw or a skilsaw and rip fence is the way to go, followed by remortising the hinges. I would be using a fine tooth carbide, which is a finish blade... not a plywood blade. You take it all off the hinge side because otherwise you mess up the handle back set which needs to be exactly 2 3/8 or 2 3/4... not an 1/8" either way. And the only way you should use a plane is if you want a 1 hour upper body workout and you have a very long jack plane. Planes are for minor adjustments... not for taking 1/4" off. (Unless you enjoy doing things the hard way).

If the knob is not bored yet, then you could do 1/8" on each side before drilling the hole.

Old 10-07-18, 10:33 AM
OK thanks. I have a fine tooth blade already so that's good. The specs on the door say that the trim allowance is 1/8" on each side, so taking 1/4" off the trim side would be ok? Just want to know before I buy this thing, lol.

Old 10-07-18, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
I don't think it would hurt to take 1/4 off one side, but I'm not the mfg... and like I said, if the door knob is already drilled in it, you have to take it all off the hinge side. Either that or look for another door.

Old 10-07-18, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to really get the specs on these. The Masonite site doesn't even mention any "Solidoor" products. They have a Safe-n-Sound which is sort of a uncompressed hardboard core and they are pretty heavy and may need addl hinge work (2 - 4" or 3 - 3 1/2" or ball bearing hinges). Perhaps marketing changed the name or they and engineering aren't talking. If the Solidoor is really just foam filled, might not be an issue. If the Lowes people don't know (they should and should probably have a cutaway also) a simple call to Masonite may be in order.

Old 10-08-18, 04:40 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi, Check to find out if Lowes will trim the doors. Make sure to tell them the exact size you want and measure it before you leave.
Lift the door if your knees buckle it's probably Masonite if they don't, it's probably foam

Old 10-20-18, 07:01 AM
Thanks a lot folks! I'm sure I will figure everything out. It's funny, the prehung doors at lowes are the exact size I need. I'm not trying to remove my freshly painted trim, but i may just get a prehung door and just try and use the door part if possible.

Old 10-20-18, 07:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Before you go that route check and make sure the placement of the hinges is correct along with the height of the door knob hole.

Old 10-20-18, 07:36 AM
Good call! Will do. Thanks!