Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Bugs getting in top of screen on storm windows

Old 10-10-18, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have a ton of Brown Marmorated Stink bugs getting into the house now that fall is here. We have 2 20 foot Blue Spruces in the yard right next to the house. I had about 5 in my bedroom last night and as I was painting the house yesterday I noticed tons of them on the house and trim.

I looked at almost all of my storm windows (they're old) and there sealed really well, BUT I did notice that where the screens (self stored types) touch the top of the 2 glass panels in the storm window there's a large GAP that bugs can crawl right up and over into the open window, so that the screens on all the storm windows are ineffective.

I was thinking of stuffing some of that rope caulk stuff in all the storms to close those gaps as I'm assuming that's where they're all coming in. I'm pretty sure because if I close the actual windows they get trapped inside the window area and can't get in the house.

Is there a better way to fix the screens? I guess they're old and the top edge has just developed maybe an arch or the seal is gone or something.

If I have the screen down and go outside and look upwards close to the screen I can see right up between the storm window glass and the screen and there's about a 1/4 inch gap on most of my storm windows.

The screens should be fitting tightly against the glass sections of the storm windows I think.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-18, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
It's hard to offer advice without seeing your screens. Here are some instructions to post pictures.

Old 10-10-18, 05:08 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Can the screen and screen frame be removed? Most likely the constant up/down of the screen has caused the frame to bow inward.

Old 10-10-18, 06:38 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
My storm windows are double track. The outer track has a screen panel in the lower half and a glass panel in the upper half. The inner track has a glass panel which can be raised for ventilation.

Is this what you have?

Old 10-10-18, 06:29 PM
Thnks everyone I have triple track aluminum storms from circa 1971, so yes they're "bowed" in the middle I think.

What I did and it seems to have worked is to get some FROST KING thin type vinyl insulation that comes on a roll and is adhesive.

I took out each screen and ran a strip across that gap. The gaps were close to 1/4 inch and it seems to have filled it as it's about 1/4 inch also.

I went outside and looked up through each screen and it is now tight. Tonight I didn't have any brown stink bugs inside, but for one in the kitchen, so I think they've closed the gaps good.

Old 10-11-18, 03:44 AM
During the winter season remove your screen and take them apart (you're probably due for new screen anyway). Run the sides and top along a straight edge to remove the bow being careful not to kink the metal. I'll usually insert a metal bar or piece of wood through the frame to prevent bending and maintain the stiffness.

Old 10-11-18, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The top rail of the screen should have wool pile type weather striping to seal against the glass panel. See if there is a groove where the pile should have been.

Old 10-17-18, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by johnam View Post
The top rail of the screen should have wool pile type weather striping to seal against the glass panel. See if there is a groove where the pile should have been.
Yes, they do, but they're old and flattened completely. I wish they had replacements but I'm not sure they do. I used that stick on vinyl stuff that seems to have worked, but now the screens are a little hard to push up.

Old 10-18-18, 03:59 AM
Replacement weather stripping is available. Try SWISCO.COM

Old 12-26-18, 03:22 PM
Old storm windows-bugs

Hi Brian --

"BUT I did notice that where the screens (self stored types) touch the top of the 2 glass panels in the storm window there's a large GAP that bugs can crawl right up and over into the open window, so that the screens on all the storm windows are ineffective. "

Sounds somewhat 'similar' to what I've seen... I have a 1920 house with the older aluminum storm windows and half screen from what, about the 1960s or so. The ones that have the aluminum finger push 'squares' at inside bottom left and right, that push toward each other so as to unlock the window or screen for sliding up or down.

I noticed my storm windows [not the screen] on say 4 of the 6 had a 1/2 +/- gap at the top - simply put, I had those 4 windows 'reversed' in that the ones I had slid up to the top were actually the ones that stay on the bottom (yes in my case there is a difference) so I just lowered those and raised the bottoms upward until they locked in place - at the very top', no gap any longer. So, SCREEN I think would be a similar situation (hopefully for you). Or at the least you can see where screens might be 'binding', preventing them from reaching the very top. Best of luck.