Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Therma Tru 4 9/16 Sill and sill extender question.

Old 10-22-18, 05:10 PM

XSleeper, I saw you answered a similar question, so I hope you chime in.

I ordered two sets of Therma Tru Smooth Star 60x80 French Doors. with 4 9/16 Ultra Jambs. I currently have a 5/4" ledger I need the sill to cover (in addition to the 4 9/16 jamb). My salesman wasn't sure how far the sill extended but thought I could add a sill extender AFTER I install my doors. Does that sound right? I really need to get these doors in ASAP once delivered and don't want to have to wait for extenders to install.

Also, and this may be hard to answer without seeing, but could I leave the ledger exposed without a sill extender or will that look bad? OR, do you have another suggestion (I have a bad situation with a ledger and a free standing deck that's preventing me from taking the ledger down without A LOT of extra work).

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-18, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
You can add the sill nose afterward... it will fit between the brickmould.

You will want to make sure the ledger gets flashed and that the top of that flashing gets counterflashed while the door is out.

Old 10-22-18, 05:46 PM
You can add the sill nose afterward... it will fit between the brickmould.

You will want to make sure the ledger gets flashed and that the top of that flashing gets counterflashed while the door is out.
Thanks XSleeper. You actually offered some advise on these doors a week or two ago. After researching and talking to some local carpenters, I've determined I'm going to cut 5 1/2" off the ends of the deck boards. Than notch the ledger as far down as I can reach. Add flexwrap and than a PVC sill pan. Than cut a piece of PVC filler to fill that notched ledger to support the sill (and prevent UV exposure).

Hope that makes sense. I hope to do this with no exposed flashing tape.

While I have you, can you tell me what you do for drip caps on these doors? My building supply salesman suggested a piece of vinyl drip cap but most everything I researched was metal with the ends cut at a 45 and folded over (I didn't find a lot on this topic). Is the vinyl head cap being straight across the top and Jchannel over that a good option? (I'll be cutting the house wrap at 45's, installing drip cap, adding flashing tape, and than drop house wrap back over and tape with tyvek tape).

Thanks

Old 10-22-18, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Vinyl drip cap usually warps after a few years. Metal is almost always a better choice.

Old 10-22-18, 06:08 PM
Vinyl drip cap usually warps after a few years. Metal is almost always a better choice.
Ok, and I assume add the 45's and fold the corners over? Thanks

Old 10-22-18, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
I have no idea what 45 you are referring to. I generally fold the ends up to create an end dam. With vinyl siding it really doesnt matter... you could fold them down too.

Old 10-22-18, 06:22 PM
I have no idea what 45 you are referring to. I generally fold the ends up to create an end dam. With vinyl siding it really doesnt matter... you could fold them down too.
Not sure why I was thinking 45's, but THANK YOU!