Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How to glaze fixed glass window in simple wood frame

Old 11-04-18, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a wall of glass windows installed in my cabin. Ive uploaded a photo of the wall and a diagram of how I think I should glaze them in.

They are presently installed almost the same way as the diagram but without the neoprene spacer or the butyl tape. Instead they were installed with a bead of caulking on the weather side where the wooden stop meets the glass. These are single pane units 1/4 thick. The old caulking is failing badly.

Do you guys think that my diagram showing the neoprene spacer and butyl glazing is a good way to set these windows in the framing? Or would you recommend a different approach?

Would you reccomend using a composite block like Azek on the weather side or would there be too much movement with the sun beating on it? In that case I would probably use some oak blocks there? The blocks there now are a softwood just nailed in place.

Ive got good overhang, but a driving rain still gets to the glass.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-18, 03:01 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Not sure how to correlate picture with sketch. Are the glass panes in the lattice work above the door what you are calling windows?

Old 11-04-18, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Tape alone isn't enough. Buy some Dow 790 silicone to wet glaze over the tape.

Old 11-04-18, 06:42 PM
Yes, the glass panes above the door are what Im calling windows. Obviously they are non operating. The sketch is a side view of how Im proposing to re-glaze them. Currently, there is not butyl tape, but rather some old/failing caulk on the weather side where the outside stop meets the glass.

XSleeper: when you say wet glaze over the tape do you mean a bead of silicone where the stop meets the glass that would be applied after the glass is bed into the tape? Or something different?
Thanks!

Old 11-04-18, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Yes, applied from the outside after the glass is set against the tape. Get the silicone in a color that won't clash with your color scheme. Brown might be good.

You will also want to seal the glass perimeter on the inside before you apply the interior stop. This will stop air infiltration and condensation since air would otherwise pass under the exterior stop and around the glass.

Old 11-04-18, 09:47 PM
That is what I’ll do. Thank you!

Old 11-05-18, 06:07 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Make sure the bottom outside stop is caulked with silicone on the window and 2x4 side completely before installing. Don't want the horizontal 2x4s rotting. The width of bottom outside stop should be such that the slope extends beyond 2x4.

Old 11-05-18, 06:52 PM
Great advice to caulk the stop before installing and have it proud of the 2x4. I’ll do that too.
Thanks!
I love this forum!