Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Mortise Lock - wood chewed up in door for screws

Old 11-12-18, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I had to remove the mortise lock from the door. Doing so apparently removed what thin wood was holding the screws that held the mortise in place.

Anyone have a solution for this?

I was thinking of using my dremel and chisel to cut some wood out. The opening is 1/2" and goes 3" deep. Anyway, I was thinking excavate, and then put some new wood in there (with some wood glue and maybe two small nails from my nail gun) - that would then give me fresh/new wood to drill.

I don't think there is a magical bondo or wood filler out there - one that would take the weight/stress of a screw, right?

Pictures speak bigger than words. Look at the images below.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-18, 11:30 PM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
Same repair as a door hinge, pick up some 3/8 ribbed dowls, drill out and use lots of wood glue, tap them in place and give a day to dry.

Will be as strong as original!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1542094246

Attached Images  
Old 11-13-18, 12:16 AM
You can also stuff it with the wood psrt of one or a few matches. The screw will bite into the wood.

Old 11-13-18, 03:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Golf tee, wood match, dowel - I've glued lots of stuff like that into holes over the years; the right piece of wood being determined by the size you need to fill.

Old 11-14-18, 09:16 PM
Hmm, matches or other filler won’t work (I think).

The picture may not reveal... but if you look close... imagine a circle, the screw goes in the circle... the top screw is missing the bottom half of its circle, and vice verse for the bottom screw. If I put a toothpick in the top hole it falls out, in the bottom I can lift it up. Another analogy, if I put a toothpick in a straw, and removed the top 180/half of the straw, I could lift the toothpick up.

The previous amount of wood here was extremely thin.

I imagine excavate, threw some wood in, and screw the new wood, would be best option?

Old 11-14-18, 11:57 PM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
You have the eyes on the project but I think you get the idea, some form of wood needs to be replaced to give you something to attach too!