Door Adjustment Knob/deadbolt

Old 11-22-18, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Door Adjustment Knob/deadbolt

Two sets of exterior french doors with metal shell. I recently replaced the complete mechanism on the fixed side, that serves the pins that protrude into lower and upper frame. The new set has caused the doors to be a bit tight now, and making closure more challenging. The exterior trim is a brick mold, and there is no room for hinge adjustments against the brick mold or on the door, due to metal casing. The only place I have to make an adjustment, best I see, is to plane off about 1/16" on the doorknob edge ( I have about 3/16" of exposed wood there). The result would cause the the knob and deadbolt to move back that same 1/16".

Can this work? Does the door knob and dead bolt mechanism allow for a slight variance, or wood I have to chance boring the holes back the same 1/16"?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-18, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
First, are you sure you put all the screws into the astragal that would suck it up tight to the passive door?

I think that before I went planing the door that I would first try replacing a short hinge screw (one of the ones closest to the weatherstripping) with a 3" long screw (one on each hinge of each door) to try and gain that 1/16" of clearance that way. As you tighten those screws down you might just gain enough that they will close better.